Saturday, February 16, 2013

Tea Room Recipe #7 - Patricia's Tearoom (Dexter, Mo.)

One time, I stopped by a friend's house at the dinner hour and found her family was eating the yummiest little sour cream muffins. They required only a couple of ingredients and were really more like biscuits, only in the shape of flat little muffins.

For this week's recipe, I wanted some sort of bread that would be a good accompaniment to a big pot of vegetable soup I had made. When I found a tea room recipe for Dill Muffins similar to those my friend had made, I knew this was what I wanted to make, and it couldn't have been easier!

The recipe comes from "Teatime Friendships at Patricia's," a three-ring notebook of recipes I bought online several years ago. It includes lots of traditional teatime fare, and I especially enjoyed seeing the photos of tea room owner Patricia Shell and her friends wearing Victorian dresses and bearing teacups. Since this Missouri tea room has now closed, I'm happy I at least got to visit it in the pages of this cookbook! And now here's the super easy recipe.

Dill Muffins

1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup unsifted self-rising flour
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon dill
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend all ingredients and fill muffin tins sprayed with cooking spray 1/2 full. Bake 20-22 minutes, just until edges are starting to turn golden. Yields 12 delicious, flat little muffins, spongey in texture. I think these would be great sliced in half and used as tea sandwich bread, and this recipe would also make excellent mini muffins!



13 comments:

  1. Yum! Sounds perfect to go with your soup, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look really good. Sometimes I prefer a savory muffin or biscuit to a sweet one. Thanks, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dill muffins look like the perfect accompaniment to soup. Um, um, good! I've never been to that tea room, nor do I have the cookbook. It's always sad to learn about tea room closings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The muffins look tasty Angela. Somewhere I have a recipe for a quick bread with cheese and dill that I haven't made in a long time.
    It's snowing again so I plan to do some baking today.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look wonderful and especially with soup! I am always so sad when a tea room closes. Yesterday I saw on line where the bed and breakfast closed from that "Somewhere In Thyme" book that I sold was....she had a tea room that closed earlier so isn't that terrible.

    These cookbooks you are featuring are wonderful and I plan to print this out at the store. I don't have a printer at home but for Christmas my son and genius dil gave me a small chromebook so now I can do comments, etc at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dill muffins sound good and your homemade vegetable soup looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Angela, I have been to Patricia's tea room in Dexter and was so sorry it had closed. Patricia came and sat down with us and spent time discussing her tea room and tea in general. At the time she also had a catering business. Her retail shop was wonderful. I have checked a couple times to see if she had reopened and was told she had not. I believe her husband still has his business in Dexter. My Dad lives around a hour from Dexter. There are also a couple antiques stores that we go to each time we are in Dexter.

    When we were there we had Buttermilk muffins that were great. She did not serve scones. She said it was not an item that sold well. Hard to believe.

    I have drove past the building wishing and hoping!

    Blessing,

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH they sound absolutely fantastic - definitely want to try that recipe!

    Thanks, Angela!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i made a similar little muffin/biscuit without the dill. What a great addition the dill is! This is almost too funny. Phyllis and I have been running a little "contest" on which of us have been to the most tea rooms for which you are posting recipes. I think we are 2 - 2. When I saw the title, I knew I hadn't been to this one. But, way to go dear tea friend Sandy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Angela, this recipe and the cookbook look wonderful! I wish I had been able to go to Patricia's tearoom. And I'm not sure why, but Missouri's antique shops always had such neat items, such nice owners and I have so many fond memories of items I bought in Missouri. Hope you have a nice weekend, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thе USDА and otheг fоod sаfety experts recommend leaving pіzza out at room temperatuгe for
    nο more than tωo houгs. Αdd another cuр
    of the flour аnd stiг untіl you have a dough ball.
    I ԁοn't like pizza sauces, so I opt to use two cans of diced tomatoes as the first layer-one can of plain and the other of Italian.

    Take a look at my homepage; pizza pan akron ohio menu

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!