Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Newest samples from Harney & Sons

On my most recent order from Harney & Sons, they included some new samples of teabags that I was happy--as always--to try!

First up was the Tilleul Mint, a caffeine-free herbal blend with mint. When I opened the packet I got a nice whiff of mint, but the flavor wasn't as minty as I had hoped. Harney says the blend features "the crushed leaves and flowers from a linden tree with peppermint." It reminded me of a weak chamomile blend of herbal tea, so this wasn't a real favorite.

Next, the Verveine Lemon Verbena was another caffeine-free herbal, billed on the packet as a "lemony herbal infusion." Well, I didn't much care for this one either, which is a surprise because I have enjoyed almost every Harney tea I've ever tried. This one also had a rather weak taste, and the lemon flavor was simply too, too subtle.

Last but not least, I tried the Dragon Pearl Jasmine floral tea. I've had this type of tea many times before but never in a teabag, so I was curious to see what it would look like ...

... and it looks just like Dragon Pearl Jasmine tea because, um, it is. It had the lovely floral scent and taste I've long enjoyed, and this one was a real winner!

8 comments:

  1. Dear Angela,
    Dragon Pearl Jasmine is such a pretty tea. I love their little sacks too (I won't call them bags-they deserve a nicer word. lol)
    Happy tea drinking~ Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahem.. correction here, Angela. A tea sachet for loose-leaf tea is not a tea bag. I love it when Harney and other tea vendors include samples with online orders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review of your Harney tea samples, Angela. Your post reminded me I have some Harney samples in my tea cabinet, so I retrieved them. I have what you've blogged about today, plus a couple more. I left out the Dragon Pearl Jasmine and Japanese Sencha to drink today! ~ Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Samples are such a great way to try new teas without buying a whole package...and then not being too keen on the result...I have a few boxes of those in the cabinet I need to discard...Sigh...
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to know! I may have to try some of that Dragon Pearl Jasmine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you think anyone from Harney and Sons reads your reviews of the samples?
    I once wrote a review of a gardening product (which was favourable) and received an email from the company thanking me. They can set certain filters to pick up any mention of their name on a blog or on-line newspaper.
    Interesting isn't it?
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've not tried H&S individual tea bags, but I can see where they would be handy to stick in a purse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I often find with herbal teas I need to double up on the amount of tea I steep. I think they quickly loose their strength after being dried. I make lemon verbena tea sometimes in the summer from my garden and I just cram the leaves into the jar and steep, then chill and add ice. Nice post and I appreciate your candid opinion.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!