Friday, August 21, 2026

When afternoon tea was just fifty cents …


The New York Public Library has loads of digital images you can browse online, and these images of a 1914 menu from the Lord & Taylor Tea Rooms caught my eye.


It's interesting to see the various ice creams named. I could figure out what a Charlotte Glacée was, but the Coupe Julia Marlowe? No idea. (I did learn that she was an English-born American actress and fought for women's right to vote. Maybe the ice cream honored her popularity?)


And while I'd no doubt let them keep the stewed prunes, don't you wish we could still enjoy afternoon tea for just fifty cents?

5 comments:

  1. That’s fascinating! (And I agree about the prunes.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! What is the difference between chocolate and cocoa?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question! Google says "chocolate" is made with cocoa butter and "cocoa" is made with cocoa powder. (But take that for what it's worth!) I use "hot chocolate" and "hot cocoa" interchangeably.

      Delete
  3. I love seeing afternoon tea menus from the past, so thank you for this one! I happen to like prunes (stewed or otherwise), but the item on this menu that I would rather skip is the tongue sandwich! (I've had tongue before in Europe and really did not like the texture.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!