Friday, August 28, 2026

Goodbye, Dolly


Like many of you, I'll bet, I have spent a ridiculous amount of time this week looking at old photos and video clips of Dolly Parton. I was so stunned at the news of her death on Tuesday. Dolly always seemed so vibrant and larger than life that it just never occurred to me that she would pass away during my lifetime. Once I heard the news, I reached for the Dolly Parton tea bag rests I found at Dollar General last year, which are undoubtedly the only Dolly-themed tea wares I own.

Many of you will remember me writing about my Aunt Jane over the years until she passed away in late 2023. Aunt Jane was a huge Dolly fan, and whenever Dolly had a new CD out, Aunt Jane wouldn't let it rest until one of us took her to Walmart or Target in search of the CD. And Aunt Jane was very, very proud of that CD player of hers. We often gave her picture books about Dolly Parton, and my aunt loved them. One of my nieces and I find it quite interesting that Dolly passed away on Aunt Jane's birthday. I like to think that my "special needs" aunt had a "special" guest show up at her birthday party this year!

There will never be another Dolly, and I have been heartened this week to discover that, by golly, there IS one thing Americans can agree on, and that is the near universal respect for the country superstar and philanthropist. From her book donations for young readers to the band uniforms she funded for high school students, seems like everyone has popped up with a story to share about this gifted child of the mountains who made it big and never forgot where she came from. RIP, Dolly.

1 comment:

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!