I read somewhere that silver is the jewelry of the tea table, so I'm happy to report that I found a new piece of "jewelry" for mine last week! Do you know what this is? Here's what it looked like when I rescued it from the thrift store for $9.95 …
And here it is after a little polishing with Wright's Silver Cream!
It's a sugar caster, so named because back when sugar was considered a luxury, the wealthy could "cast" their sugar onto foods on the table (and it's also known as a sugar sifter). I'd long wanted one of these but never seen one in the wild before. This vintage English one from Mappin & Webb was a fun find!



I’m glad this one found its.way to you! It will look beautiful on your table and it will make you smile.
ReplyDeleteWow, congratulations--what a find! It cleaned up so nicely. It's such fun to find tea things that you've always wanted. I don't have a silver sugar sifter, but I do have a pretty Hartley Greens creamware one that I bought in Colonial Willaimsburg.
ReplyDeleteHow neat! It will be a great addition to your table.
ReplyDeleteYour sugar caster is lovely. We have two and use one for cinnamon and one for powdered ginger both of which are sprinkled over oatmeal. Yours is such a pretty shape. Enjoy it. Have a great weekend. Hugs, Elaine
ReplyDeleteI’ve never heard of a sugar caster before. I’ll have to look for one!
ReplyDeleteHow lovely!
ReplyDelete