Friday, October 18, 2024

When new floors lead to new place mats


I am slowly putting my house back together after having to move everything out for the repairs. Prior to the great ruptured-pipe incident, I had a distressed-white table in the foyer, and it's now being used as my TV display stand since I wanted a change from the old one. But when that white table was in the foyer, I had displayed on it a cheery silk flower basket a dear friend gave me for my birthday this year. I loved it and wished the spring colors would work for fall too. Well, I went to T. J. Maxx and found some pretty scalloped floral place mats by Rachel Ashwell of Shabby Chic fame, and with the light-orange colors, these work great with both the flowers and the olive-green ruffled dishes I scored at Goodwill a year or two ago.


I love the way the fall light hits the dishes, especially the teacup with its pretty ruffled saucer.


One change that shocked even me was that I realized how much more spacious my small dining room seemed without my beloved tea trolley in it. When I moved it to the garage a few weeks ago before the flooring went in, I discovered how rickety it had gotten. The wheels wobbled precariously, and that cart was probably a dangerous place to display some of my most treasured tea wares. I'm sure I'll come up with another place to display tea wares, though, so stay tuned. Meanwhile, I now have LVP flooring everywhere downstairs except the kitchen, which is a renovation project for another day. I'm loving the clean look but didn't realize how much sounds would echo without the carpet there to muffle them. Amazon will be bringing me a nice big rug today to help take care of that. And I may get one for the dining room, too, to use underneath my dining table and chairs. I'm so glad I bought a distressed set twenty years ago, because I still love that look today. And now that I've enjoyed my first quiet week with no workmen traipsing in and out of my house, I can say that I'm glad the only thing "distressed" in this house is some furniture!

4 comments:

  1. I know you are glad the work is done! Now you are finding new ways to enjoy your home. (And I still love those ruffled saucers!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea how I came to know of you and your blog a few months ago, but I look expectantly for your blog and delight in reading it. Everything you write resonates with me. God bless you as you continue your ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are no longer as "distressed" as your dining table and chairs! That's a beautiful photo with the sun shining in on your pretty table setting. You deserve some sunshine and peace and quiet after all those renovations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new floors look great! Love the new additions to the table.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!