Friday, March 1, 2024

A different kind of shamrock …


With St. Patrick's Day just around the corner, I was busy looking through old photos on the Library of Congress website in search of something that combined the words "shamrock" and "tea." Well, I did find an old photograph that included both of those words, and while it wasn't at all what I was looking for, I was still intrigued. Do you recognize the dapper gent at the center of the photo?

The entry reads: "Photograph shows Sir Thomas Johnstone Lipton (1848-1931), purveyor of Lipton teas and America's Cup challenger, and the crew of Shamrock IV at Morse's Dry Dock, Brooklyn, in preparation for the 1920 America's Cup race." (Source: Flickr Commons project, 2017)

If you haven't read A Full Cup, you can go here for my summary of the fine book about the life of Sir Thomas J. Lipton!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for finding us that great photo combining "tea" and "shamrock" in an unexpected way! And thank you very much for the link to your previous review of the biography of Sir Thomas Lipton. I love history and biographies of interesting people, so I am definitely going to get a copy of that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just ordered a copy of A Full Cup! Love the photo and am now anxious to read the book, though there are several others already in my "to read" stack!!! Thanks for sharing your find...it's a treasure! Susan in NC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Went back to read your review and found it so interesting. Going to have to order the book. Thank you for always inspiring us with such great content!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!