Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Seeking advice from floral-design friends!


Recently, I found a pretty blue chintz flowerpot at a thrift store for just $1.99. I love the pattern (I think I used to have a teacup in this same pattern), and I thought this piece would be fun for growing herbs like the mint I enjoy in my summertime tea. But some old floral oasis has practically petrified inside, and I am worried about harming the flower pot if I keep trying to chunk away at it. Soaking it in dish soap didn't do it. Neither did leaving it out in the rain for a few days.


I've never arranged flowers, but I'll bet *somebody* here has done so and knows what to do about stubborn oasis. My Googling has not produced any possibilities I feel safe trying, so if any of you know how to get dried oasis out of a flowerpot, I would be more than grateful if you'd share it!

6 comments:

  1. I am no help on the advice but I hope one of your readers will have a solution for you. That's a lovely flowerpot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to suggest water but see that didn't work. Do update and share when you figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That IS such a pretty planter! I'm sorry that I can't offer any suggestions that I have personally used. I assume you saw the suggestions on-line to use either acetone or shower cleaner? I would definitely only try those outdoors! This site has a few suggestions, including those two: https://www.oldhouseweb.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26268

    ReplyDelete
  4. It may be hot glued in. Maybe try a hair drier on the bottom to see if the heat loosens the glue up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please let us know what finally works.
    Best wishes

    Nancy Carr

    ReplyDelete
  6. Try liquid fabric softener .

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!