Monday, June 6, 2022

China finds , the Queen's red box, and a bucket list bracelet!




On a recent Saturday of thrifting with Aunt Jane in nearby Carrollton, I came across some fun finds that were just too great to pass up. 


This RS Germany cup and saucer set at Goodwill looked so old and Victorian that it immediately caught my eye. I stood there holding it, examining the back stamp with my readers on and trying to decide whether I really needed this $2.99 set, when I heard, "Angela!"


I turned around and saw my friend Yana, who lives in Newnan and is originally from Ukraine. Yana designs all the beautiful, romantic jewelry she wears (and sells), and I had to take a selfie to share with a friend who knows us both. ("Look who I ran into!") Yana took a look at my teacup and said that yes, I needed that.


But the ReThread thrift store in Carrollton is where I really racked up! I had already decided to start collecting pretty butter pats with roses on them, and this $2.99 piece, Haviland French Limoges, fit the bill. I need about a dozen of these small (2-1/2- to 3-inch) pieces to fill a display case I've got, but I'm not in any hurry to find them and will add them only when I find them at bargain prices like this.


I also picked up this red velvet case just because it was so unique! Can't decide whether it will hold craft supplies or my vintage tea-themed valentines or even jewelry, but it was just $6.99 and reminded me of Queen Elizabeth's famous red boxes.


But the REAL find of the day was this bracelet. Those of you who've read my Junkin' Jewelry mysteries may (I hope!) remember that my main character's cat is named Miriam Haskell in honor of one of her favorite jewelry designers. And while I had a few pieces of Miriam Haskell when I was a teen (I've been into vintage for a longggg time), I currently own not one piece. I love the jewelry, but I am just not willing to shell out the hundreds and even thousands of dollars this costume jewelry currently commands. I took one look at this pretty purple-and-magenta bracelet in the case at ReThread and suspected it might be Haskell. 


When I saw the signature, I had to have it. Just $45? It's probably worth ten times that, so yes, please. I asked to try it on, and then I mentioned that I noticed a few stones missing. I debated for half a second, remembering there are services that will replace rhinestones on old jewelry, and before I could say, "I'll take it," the clerk said, "Since there are stones missing, how about $20?" I was stunned but delighted, so I'm betting this lovely piece will make an appearance in an upcoming book!

10 comments:

  1. You had a great shopping day! The bracelet is lovely and a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Treasures Angela! I will now keep an eye out for MH jewelry. Can’t wait for the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, another day of wonderful finds! You really lucked out on the Miriam Haskell bracelet. My favorite of your new treasures is the butter pat--that is so pretty (I'm very fond of butter pats).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I could have guessed that piece of jewelry would end up in a future book. So pretty! My favorite of your finds is that red box. I do love boxes, but a red velvet one would definitely come home with me. Perfect for vintage valentines for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Great finds! I love the bracelet and what a deal!! I am thrilled for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! Had to say also, you look so pretty Angela! That's your color for sure

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angela!! This is so special, and I was already thinking about my Emeralds and Envy book before you explained your lifelong love of this jewelry designer. I'm so happy for you, and especially thrilled at the amazing deal you got.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great finds. Enjoy.
    Joan,Marion and Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miriam Haskell jewelry is wonderful!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Angela, those are all great finds but I'm THRILLED that you found the Miriam Haskell bracelet, and at such a good price. Yay! It was meant to be yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!