Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Weekend thrifting: the rest of the story


When I told my sister about my adventure in finding the two pieces of that butter dish on Saturday, I showed her the little thank-you card taped to it, which still said …


"Enjoy! Adrienne." Rhonda's response: "I guess she didn't." (Since the recipient never even removed the card, apparently.) Ha!


That particular Goodwill had lots of violet-patterned wares that day, including some tea-and-toast plates minus the teacups (I considered but ultimately rejected their purchase). I couldn't help thinking that perhaps some violet-loving woman had passed away and her kids had donated the whole lot. (Maybe?) But this Royal Patrician plate for 99 cents was too great a deal to leave behind, and I do buy plates purely as "props" for staging photos for this blog, my cooking column in The Coweta Shopper, and future cookbooks.


My most expensive purchase of the day was a $1.99 Christmas plate, and I loved the retro look of it!


You can barely tell in this photo, but the design is very obviously a decal, so I'm going to be careful with this plate and will just use it as decor. Can you believe Christmas is less than five months away? And considering the shipping delays of last year, I think I'll try to be finished shopping by early November this year! Have you bought any Christmas gifts yet?

4 comments:

  1. I have some ideas for Christmas gifts, things I want to make between now and then, but no actual shopping (except for fabric) yet. Your violet purchases are beautiful and I'm so glad they have a new home with someone who will love them. And the Christmas plate will be a great decorative piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I haven't bought any Christmas gifts yet, but I've started to think about some. I especially like the candles and the holly and the ivy on your "new" Christmas plate. One sees many Christmas items with holly on them, but not many with the traditional ivy that goes along with it, as in "The Holly and the Ivy" carol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sister’s comment is too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the violet plate. The one with the note could have a story to tell.
    I am just beginning to think of Christmas. Only one stocking gift so far.
    Good idea about being finished early November. Generally I am done shopping by Thanksgiving. Yes, shipping is crazy these days. The USPS has lost more of my orders than ever.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!