Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Enchanted with Holly China


Earlier this year, I ponied up my dues and became a member of the Golden Glow of Christmas Past, a group for those who love vintage Christmas collectibles. While I've started receiving the group's wonderful bimonthly magazine, The Glow, I've also made it a mission to collect back issues, and the one I wanted most was the June 2020 issue with its features on Holly China.


I have several English bone china teacups with holly and berry designs, but I had no idea there were so many beautiful old French versions of holly-patterned china. And this punch bowl, y'all!


And when I saw all of these green patterns, I was completely charmed. I'm pretty sure my eye will go to green wares the next time I'm in a thrift store or antique mall.


But the set I liked best was this 1890 Limoges tea set with holly and berries. That's got to be one of the most gorgeous Christmas sets I've ever seen.


This is the back cover of the magazine, and I love how it features holly-patterned wares as well as holly-patterned silverware. As you all know by now, I'm a thrifty collector, not someone who ever plans to drop hundreds of dollars on random dishes, but boy, will I have my eyes peeled for some of these lovely wares! (And if you're as intrigued by the idea of vintage Christmas collectibles as I am, you can learn more about the Golden Glow here.)

 

3 comments:

  1. Golden Glow sounds like a perfect fit for you! And being a lover of all things Christmas, I swooned over the holly pieces you pictured. I'll help you keep watch for them if I get to go thrifting again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love holly china, too. My own set of Christmas china is the Royal Worcester Holly Ribbons pattern (it has holly leaves and berries, along with mistletoe and red ribbons.)
    That French holly punch bowl is really impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Limoges set is gorgeous!
    I recently have decided to look for green ware too.
    Loving green things!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!