Wednesday, July 14, 2021

A pop-up tea room in Tokyo


Reader Diane M. has shared a most fascinating teatime article, and you can find it here. (The screen grab above shows what it looked like on Designboom.com at the time I accessed it.)

Apparently, this tea room is a temporary structure that architect Terunobu Fujimori installed to coincide with the Tokyo Olympics, and it's certainly unlike any tea room I've seen before. When I read the article, I was especially intrigued that the method of charring the wood preserves it and provides fire resistance. Instantly reminded me of how God uses trials in our lives to strengthen and preserve us, but I'd certainly never thought of "charred" wood as strong before. Interesting!

I hope we'll hear more about this tea room in the weeks leading up to the Olympics, so keep your eyes peeled, friends. And yes, I would love to go to tea there. Would you?

8 comments:

  1. That is certainly unusual! If I were in Tokyo for the Olympics, I'd probably like to visit it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would visit that fabulous tea room if I were in Tokyo. Interesting about the strength of charred wood. Our trials do usually strengthen us, don't they? After my husband died my heart now leads me to comfort others, something that came after crushing loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra, what a wonderful thing to do! Back when my mom died, I found that the people I most wanted to hear from were others who had lost a mom and "lived to tell about it." Love knowing that your heart is inclined to comfort others!

      Delete
  3. The grass growing on the building reminds me of the thatch used to roof so many homes and barns in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How interesting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I would definitely love to go there for tea!
    Susan in NC

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is amazing! Yes! Count me in for having tea there too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!