Monday, June 28, 2021

Some tea wares get a new home — mine!

 

A few weeks ago, I got a call from Maxine, a lovely local lady I've known for many years, and she is now downsizing. She needed to get rid of some teapots and was planning a garage sale, and she wondered if I'd like to come take a look first. You bet I did, and one of the first ones I spotted was this decorative Old Country Roses teapot. It's not for food use, but since OCR is the pattern my mother collected, I had to have it.

And I've gotten to where I can spot a Sadler teapot from a mile away, so these two pretty ones caught my eye. As it turns out, I'll be helping my Sunday school class host a bridal tea next month, and guess what I'll be using? These colors are so soft and pretty that I know they'll work beautifully with the decor.

I thought this rose-strewn Japanese teapot was lovely as well. It's supposed to be musical, and even though the music box doesn't work (and I may try to figure out how to have that restored), I liked the teapot just fine on its own. And all of the teapots were just $10 each, so I was quite happy about that!

While I was at the table with all the teapots (she had dozens, so I showed much restraint), Maxine motioned behind me to ask whether I'd ever seen a tea-themed tree. Why yes, I said, and are you selling that? She told me that if I wouldn't make her dust them first, she'd sell the tree with all 25 ornaments for just $20, so yeah, that tree was going home with me. And I *happened* to have that collapsible black tote in my trunk for just such a purpose!

It was an instant upgrade to my ornament collection (I think only one of these is a duplicate to the hundred plus I already own!), so I can't wait to fill out my Christmas tree this year! And speaking of Christmas, did you know that June 25 was "Leon Day"? That's a new term to me, but I learned that collectors and crafters celebrate Leon Day ("Leon" is "Noel" spelled backward) as a benchmark for getting ready for Christmas, which on that day is six months away. Who knew?










4 comments:

  1. That first photo shows the most adorable teapot. You got some pretty teapots and even a tea cup tree from your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you really lucked out with the teapots and tea ornaments! And I'm sure your friend is glad to know that her tea things went to a good home. I'd certainly never heard of "Leon Day" before! That's a good day to remember--I should start to organize my Christmas stuff right now. I always procrastinate too long, and then Christmas "sneaks up on me."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know about Leon Day. I will have to tell my husband as his middle name is Leon. For a long time he wouldn't tell me what his middle name was because he doesn't like it. Now I can tell him there is a special names after him. Laughing!
    Love all the teapots, especially Sadlers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The OCR set is cute! I’ve not seen it before with the wooden teapot.
    I’ve never heard of Leon Day but it’s a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!