Wednesday, June 2, 2021

A 30-year-old teatime treasure

 

Aunt Jane and I had a successful day of thrifting on Saturday, and my favorite finds were two $1.99 plates from Goodwill. I can remember when plates like this were frequently advertised in newspapers and magazines years ago, but I never bought them back then. Now that they're showing up in thrift stores, however, I am happy to be a late-to-the-party collector of these pieces, like this gorgeous "Tea Party" plate by Sandra Kuck!

From the tea wares and kitten to the innocent-looking little playmates, this piece is just so, so charming.

It's funny, but when I saw that the plate dates to 1991, I thought, "Ah, that's about right. Twenty years ago." And then something pinged and I realized that 1991 was *thirty* years ago. The nineties still seem so recent to me. For that matter, I bought a 1970s Napier bracelet on eBay the other day and was struck by the realization that it is now fifty years old and vintage. Time really does fly as you get older!

My second $1.99 plate is for my "Christmas gifting" collection of plates I pick up throughout the year. It needs a little cleaning, but I thought this moss rose design was just lovely, and I can never resist a plate with handles.

It looks kind of old to me, but it's thick, and it's unmarked. The old stuff is usually a lot thinner. Any ideas on this one? I mean, I won't be shocked if one of you says, "Oh yes, that came from Pier 1 back in the nineties." (You know, like, twenty years ago. Ha!)







5 comments:

  1. Yes, it is a shock to realize that my teen years were as long ago as they are - I guess I am vintage, too! I sold Napier jewelry at Rich's in the mid-70's, I'd love to see a picture of your bracelet. Those plates are a great find, I LOVE the tea party one. And the handled one will be a great "gifting plate", regardless of its age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake plate with handles is very interesting-looking! It looks "foreign." I especially like the painted pink embellishment around the handle openings.
    I don't mind being "vintage"--it sounds positive. Another popular term that fits me is "mid-century."

    ReplyDelete
  3. The handled cake plate is neat. I too think of the nineties as recent until I do the math. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angela, the cake plate with handles looks like handpainted pink lusterware to me. It's beautiful! If it is unmarked, it probably is Victorian...c. 1840's - 1890's. You found a treasure! If you'd like to sell it, I'd be interested!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!