Friday, January 31, 2020

"The Suffrage Cook Book" by Mrs. L. O. Kleber


You know how you go online to look up one thing and it leads to another? I was looking up something to do with the suffragettes when I came across the 1915 Suffrage Cook Book by Mrs. L. O. Kleber, and a free digital version of the book is available in just about any format you could want. Go here and pick your fave!

I was surprised to find a recipe for Sally Lunn bread (having enjoyed Sally Lunn buns at Sally Lunn's in Bath, England) as well as interesting-sounding treats like Bride's Cake, Lace Cakes, and Marshmallow Teas. (I don't think the Marshmallow Teas sound very good.)

I'm quite interested in the Suffrage Angel Cake, though, even though "great care must be used in baking this cake to insure success."

I think I'm going to try a recipe or two from the book in honor of the 100th anniversary of the passage of the 19th Amendment this year, maybe in time for Super Tuesday here in Georgia. And I hope some of you will be interested in this great free resource as well!

6 comments:

  1. What a fun thing to find! I love when digital versions are available free, too. Enjoy experimenting with these recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much for sharing this information with us! It's really fun to see the photos and comments of the "celebrities" who contributed many of the recipes. Most are people whose names we no longer recognize, but Jack London is one we've all heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie Wilson is going to be talking about this 100th anniversary and tying in tea for the Portland Tea Festival in July. What fun! I need to check out digital book and let Stephanie know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for passing along the news, Marilyn! I was so excited to find this book!

      Delete
  4. Hi, Angela! As Marilyn mentioned, I'm doing a talk on Tea and its role in passing the 19th Amendment at TeaFestPDX. I'm getting a copy of this cookbook right now. ;-) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, and oh, how I wish I could be there to hear your talk!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!