Monday, January 27, 2020

A new Gohyo electric tea kettle

One of the many unexpected blessings of having a blog is that it serves as a tea journal of sorts. So while I've been enjoying a new electric tea kettle and mourning the passing of the old one, I realized I could probably do a search on this blog and find out how long the old electric kettle served me. And the answer? Nine years! But the Hot H20 X-Press started leaking a few weeks ago and never stopped, so I finally, and with much sorrow, tossed it. When deciding which electric tea kettle to purchase next, I started reading reviews on Amazon, and I was surprised to find some of the highest reviews were for one very inexpensive electric tea kettle that I simply had to try for a completely ridiculous reason—the pretty blue-green color of the handle and base.

So with a gift card balance at my disposal, I ordered this Gohyo tea kettle for $15.99, and two days later, I was boiling water faster than I ever have. I love the color, and I love that it's so simple to operate. (I don't want fifteen settings; I'd learned to gauge the temperature of my water for both green tea and black tea, which is pretty much all I need.) My only criticism so far is that the bottom of the stainless steel interior got slightly discolored super fast, and I wish that weren't so, but everything else about this kettle, I love!

I had learned with my previous stainless steel–exterior kettle that I sometimes turned it on without actually having a full mug's worth of water inside. So I knew I wanted a tea kettle with a glass body the next time, and I can't tell you how many times I now find myself standing around the kitchen and watching bubbles form. I like the purplish-blue light that tells me the tea kettle is on.

The water boils so fast (even my husband has commented on this) that it's often ready by the time I've decided on a loose tea, measured it, and prepared an infuser basket or tea filter full of tea.

And the kettle cuts off automatically once the water is boiled, although you do have to flip the button off yourself if you want water that's not quite boiling. I don't find this a problem at all, and once, when I removed the pot early and returned it to the base, the blue light reminded me to turn it off.

My kitchen has only a tiny counter space between the sink and refrigerator, and the space is perfect for this kettle. The cord, by the way, tucks into the base for travel, which made it easy to take the kettle to Callaway Gardens for the family reunion last weekend. So even though I needed a quick replacement tea kettle and didn't do a lot of research before purchasing this one, I must say that I am beyond pleased with it, and I'd love for it to last me nine years!

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you found a new kettle so quickly and that it is working so well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love watch the bubbles and blue lights. Nine years is quite a nice length of time for a kettle to last.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's nice that you found an inexpensive electric kettle that you like! I've been trying to find a small one in which the water doesn't come in contact with any plastic, but I haven't found one that sounds quite right for me. So I'll keep looking. I want it to be small enough to fit in my backpack for plane or train travel (since I don't have a car).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!