Monday, April 29, 2019

A vintage Coalport teacup and saucer

Saturday's thrifting session with Aunt Jane was a good one. I found a book about King Edward and Wallis Simpson for 33 cents at the Salvation Army, and at the Blake House, one of the newer thrift stores on my Carrollton watch list, this teacup. I was just about to leave when I spotted a display rack with some teacups in a far back corner of the store, and there sat this set.

I couldn't quibble with the price. As always, I looked away and ran my finger around the rims of the cup and saucer to see if I could "feel" any chips or flea bites without looking, but there were none.

I think these mostly solid-color teacups with floral interiors are quite elegant. The gilding on this set is in excellent condition, and of course a spray of flowers in the center of both cup and saucer is always a good idea.

I don't know much about Coalport Bone China other than the name, but I do find it interesting that it says "Made in England A.D. 1750." When I Googled this, I found one website saying this mark was used from 1881 to 1939, and this set is in such great condition, I'm betting it's closer to the mid-1900s than the late 1800s. And I looked to see if I've blogged about finding any Coalport tea wares over the years, but apparently this is my first. Do you have any Coalport teacups?

11 comments:

  1. I don't have any, but that one is gorgeous and the price was certainly right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely teacup! I love Coalport. Hope you don't mind my saying though, that that is a post WWII mark. The A.D. 1750 is when the pottery started, but not when this was made. Made In England was not reuired until after 1891. The 1881-1939 mark only added England in 1891 and Made in England in the 1920s, but the shape changed of the crown and the curve on the Made In England to the shape you have ater the war in the 1950s. BUT still gorgeous, a great collectible and so glad it went to a loving home! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am always grateful when you have a moment to share your expertise! My gut feeling said this teacup was not *that* old (but still pretty), so I'm glad to have your info. One of the sites I found indicated this mark was used before 1900, and I just couldn't believe that based on the look and feel of this set!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad your sharp eyes were able to spot that teacup and saucer just before you left the shop! I don't have any Coalport, but I always enjoy seeing cups with designs on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is gorgeous! I love the green and have heard of Coalport, but don't think I have one. What an amazing price.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! You are quite the bargain finder, too. The top photo shows the cup with tea in it, I believe? You must be like me.......a newly-found teacup isn't really mine until I've actually USED it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post. I really enjoy reading it. Very instructive, keep on writing.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How pretty. This will be lovely set out for St. Patrick's Day next year :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!