Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Tea and the Sea

With fall mere weeks away, it is perhaps impractical to engage in sea-themed decorating since pumpkin patches and apple festivals are just around the corner. But you know what? I don't care! The older I get, the easier I find it to ignore the usual rules! So, the purchase of a new aqua-colored candle and some seaglass inspired me to create a little vignette as a reminder of my most recent trip to the beach.

Now, may I just say that some of the best purchases I've ever made are clear glass accessories, like this apothecary type jar. It's held tea bags and ribbons and, most recently, small colorfully packaged soaps. Here, I poured seaglass in the base, added my aqua candle—which I got just because the color of the glass was so pretty—and filled in the sides with seashells picked up from the beach last week. How easy! When fall arrives, it occurred to me, I might substitute an unscented candle in a fall color and fill in the base and sides with candy corn. Plus, that will give me an excuse to buy more candy corn! (Did y'all know there are now CANDY CORN M&M's in stores? I *might* have bought a bag of them this week …)

Everything else in this photo, I already had. The metal star was hanging in the living room, which now has a bare spot. Too bad!

The shell teapot is a piece I hot-glued together after a beach trip a few years back, and the conch shell artwork was among my sixth anniversary goodies from my sweet husband earlier this month.

The button teapot is another little doodad I crafted a while back. Hmmm. I clearly have a thing for hot-glue projects.

That teacup I wrote about yesterday? Well, it gets the addition of a feather I found on the beach, from a seagull or sandpiper, I guess. The blue makes such a nice background for it.

And, of course, shells. Love, love, love me some seashells. I find beauty in the shapes of the "perfect" ones as well as the "imperfect" ones, which I like to think of as Shabby Chic seashells. While at the beach, I picked up a wonderful book called "Waterside Cottages" by Barbara Jacksier and Dan Mayers. In one of the many delightful photographs, a cottage owner had set up a tea table with the sea as the backdrop. Can you imagine taking tea in such a setting? I can!

12 comments:

  1. Delightful, just delightful. The sea is timeless so a sea theme is wonderful in any season. Love all the shell items, the candle is perfect.
    Our local grocery stores have had candy corn out for the past 3 weeks. I am already tired of halloween (working in Salem MA - home city of the witches makes me shudder come Oct!)
    Love your display...thanks for some ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Tea and the Sea vignette. What a nice way to extend your vacation memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the beach vignette you put together. Collecting shells on the Florida gulf coast is one of my favorite things to do. I'll have to look up the Waterside Cottages book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! I especially like that shell-covered teapot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delightful! Autumn is one of my favorite times of the year to visit the beach. It's less crowded and fresh and lovely. I think your beach-themed tea table is perfectly timed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your shell teapot is another masterpiece! I love it, you clever thing, you!
    BTW...your egg coddlers are the Lavinia pattern...I forgot to mention that if you haven't already figured it out!
    Have a great day!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely the perfect setting for tea. Love sea glass, sea shells, and the apothecary jar. The jars are fun for different seasons for sure. Now what tea would you be drinking in the seaside setting?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the blue sea teacup & saucer. I live on a lake & I try to find fun lake things to decorate with - I like 'cottage by the lake' but most lake things are more cabin, rustic type.

    Talking about candy corn m & m's, have you seen this? http://hanielas.blogspot.com/2012/09/candy-corn-peppermint-patties.html#.UFD9W_LWQ2z

    I plan to make these for my small group Bible study ladies in October.

    Loved this post & all the tea things you made.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be having my own tea on the sea experience in a few weeks! Love that cobalt blue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful sea display, Angela - how creative you are! You really are an artist. I agree with you: the older I get, the more I realize I don't always have to follow all the seasonal rules, all the time. Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!