Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Teacup Birdfeeder - Part Two

Since I've had a couple of inquiries about the teacup birdfeeder I blogged about last week, I decided to post some more photos to help those of you who may be wanting one of these for yourself! One of my friends called to ask the name of the vendor, but I'm pretty sure it was just some home crafter since I didn't see any business cards or brochures and I didn't get the woman's name.

"Anonymous" posted a comment wanting to know what kind of glue was used, and that's when I realized the photo I posted earlier didn't really show the construction like these do. While I'm personally much more comfortable in Office Depot than Home Depot (not that I couldn't master the circular saw if I had a mind to), those of you who already know your way around the do-it-yourself aisles may be able to consult these photos for a little guidance.

And here's how the piece is fashioned on the bottom. The metal stake is 1/4-inch in diameter and 35 inches tall when measured from beneath the saucer. I hope that helps, and please send me a photo if you make one of these!


  1. Angela, I too bought one of these many years ago from a crafter...don't remember where. I just loved it, such a beautiful addition to my garden. I made a big mistake though. I live in the Northeast and just kept it in my garden all year. When the freezing whether came it filled with ice and cracked. I was so mad at myself for not bringing it indoors for the winter. I don't think you will have to worry about that, but I wanted to caution anyone else to take care of this delicate garden ornament.

  2. Thanks for showing the details on how this pretty birdfeeder is made.

  3. That is adorable Angela!
    A teaparty for the birds! And it would make a darling mini planter too dont you think!
    Thanks for sharing this cutie!
    Hugs and smiles,

  4. Thanks for showing the details. If anyone makes this you should probably use a special drill bit for china so that you don't crack the cup or saucer.

  5. Angela, several years ago, I made about 20 of these for party favors at my annual tea party. I used copper piping for the stakes, and glue. The glue I used was a plumbing glue, Goop, that I found at my local home improvement store. The glue worked great because there wasn't any drilling involved, and it's meant to be used on pipes and porcelain.


Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!