Monday, May 25, 2009

An easy Memorial Day treat


HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY! I hope you are planning to enjoy this year's observance of Memorial Day, and I thought it might be appropriate to share a quick and easy dessert idea I made this weekend.

Almost every year at Christmas, I serve this glorious English Trifle that is made with angel food cake, red currant jelly, and this divinely thick, slightly tricky velvet cream custard that is super rich thanks to the 12 eggs yolks it contains. It is always a huge hit, and I think it is worth all the effort that goes into it. Well, this is *not* that recipe. This is that recipe's low-rent country cousin -- one you can run to the grocery store and assemble in under 5 minutes -- but for a fast and easy warm-weather treat, I was surprisingly satisfied with it!

Easy Fruit Trifle

1 large (20-ounce) can chunk pineapple, drained
1 small (11-ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
1 angel food cake
1 4-pack of ready-to-serve, individual serving size Sugar-Free Jell-O Vanilla Pudding
1 small (8-ounce) container of Sugar-Free Cool Whip

First, slice about a third of the angel food cake into "cake size" slices, and then cut slices into cubes. Distribute cubes among 8 small individual-size trifle bowls. (I used cute plastic footed cups from Dollar Tree, but clear glass teacups could be used as well.)

Next, mix the drained pineapple and oranges, and scoop about two tablespoons of the fruit into the cups on top of the angel food cake cubes. Spoon in half of an individual serving size pudding cup. Top with Cool Whip and refrigerate until time to serve. As DH says, these are great and also guilt-free!

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm it's looks yummy and the picture of them all lined up is grand! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a very nice job with these. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh these are sooo yummy! I always make an english trifle at christmas, but being allergic to egg yolks I have to use pudding instead. I think I might have to make some of these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look yummy. I can use a nice guilt free dessert recipe. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!