Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Avon teatime collectibles


In college, I was an Avon lady. An enterprising team manager knew a potential victim when she saw one, and she lured me in with the promise of getting a huge discount on the new Scarlett O'Hara porcelain figurine if I joined up, so I did. (I was a huge Gone With the Wind fan back in the day.) My career with Avon was short-lived, but through the years I've remained awfully fond of Avon and those cute little "campaigns" they issue every two weeks. I think there's a good chance they'll offer teatime collectibles in the future, but the two Avon collectibles I currently own are both courtesy of Avon past, including this Teatime Moonwind Powder Sachet. The little glass figurine has holes in the top, so you can shake out the powder. Let's just say the powder is not a scent I wish to wear throughout the day, but I love the little glass teapot.

Another eBay find was this Colonial Teapot Pin, in the original box, from 1982. That's the year I graduated from high school! I know I was an Avon customer by then, but I don't remember this teapot stick pin, although I do remember that stick pins were fashionable jewelry during my high school days.

There are several other teatime collectibles Avon made that I'd like to own if I ever find them for a good price. There are at least two more pins (one is gold with a rhinestone drop of "tea," the other a blue and white porcelain teapot), and there's a whole set of beautiful teacups I think were either sold or given exlusively to Avon reps. I saw a nice display of them in an antique store for $40 per set. And finally, there is a Tea Party Barbie Avon made that both my niece Cari and I want!

3 comments:

  1. Your Avon tea sachet and pin are nice. I was an Avon lady in Canada from 1989-91. I did make Presidents Club and receive a lovely figurine (Mrs. Albee award). I don't remember any tea related products back then, but I'll be sure to look for them in future campaigns -don't you love the Avon jargon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool connection. Tea just bubbles up everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the teapot sachet, so darling and what a great addition to a tea collection. I'm from the south, transplanted up north by marriage, but I must confess I have never heard of Garden and Gun. Sounds like a fun magazine that I would enjoy, I'll have to look for a copy. Thanks.
    Karen
    www.quiltedtoatea.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!