Monday, January 6, 2020

Planning … for tea and other occasions

It's the first Monday of the new year, and I thought it would be a good time to talk about planning. I love getting new calendars for the new year — desk calendars, wall calendars, magnetic mini calendars for the fridge — and this year, I'm trying my hand at bullet journaling (also known as dot journaling), where you basically make your own planner in a blank journal designed just for this purpose. (I attended an Authors Guild workshop last January and received an emerald-colored Leuchtturm journal whose creamy ivory paper I immediately fell in love with, so this Nordic Blue model is a Leuchtturm journal as well.)

I'm strictly an amateur, but I managed to create my year-at-a-glance page without too much difficulty.

I have a Pinterest board devoted to bullet journal layouts I like, so I tried this snowflake-themed layout (my very rough version is based on this pretty one) for January. I haven't finished lettering "January" and need to up my skills, but hey, baby steps. (I also should mention that I'm hoping to see some *real* snowflakes this year, as 2019 was a bust in that regard.) And please note my little pink teacup sticker, which I'm using to mark the day whenever I'm meeting a friend for a cup of tea. (I'm also following the advice of Joanna Penn of thecreativepenn.com and going to make a note of my accomplishments, even small ones, on a regular basis in 2020. I got to the end of 2019 and thought about all that I *didn't* get done, because I wish I could write my books faster, but instead, I'm going to focus on the small achievements along the way—"Wrote 10,000 words this week" or whatever. I like focusing on the positive!)

Back to the stickers, I found another one that I used to remind myself that January is National Hot Tea Month. There are usually some fun blog posts and giveaways online this month, so this is a reminder for me to check those out.

I found the little pad of stickers from Sweet Kawaii Design on clearance for $1.97 at Michaels last week. The critters aren't really my cup of you-know-what, but I'm going to pass those along to some kiddos when I'm finished using up all the tea-themed stickers.

Like some of these. And the heart flags are cute, too, aren't they?

The "Tea Time Me Time" stickers will have to be used for something important, although I'm not sure what just yet.

And these tiny little teacups will certainly come in handy. Are you cracking open a new calendar this week? I'll bet some of you have one of those pretty teapot wall calendars that Workman Publishing has produced for many years. Alas, I've never seen a tea-themed desk calendar/planner (although I have actually thought of publishing one, but I have too many other projects competing for attention right now). However you choose to plan your year, I hope it's a great one!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Angela, I love this blog post. I once went to a talk on bullet journaling at Asheville's famous Malaprops bookstore. I was not convinced to try it, but your post is quite persuasive. I may have to check it out. The only journal I have planned for 2020 (other than my standard desk calendar) is a new tea tasting journal that I just ordered. I am hoping that it will help me to keep track of my tea memories. warm wishes, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your stickers! I have never been much for journaling but I won a neat 5-year journal with space for a couple of lines each day and I'm committing to giving it a try. I like the "pink teacup" sticker idea, I may need to find some similar ones. And hopefully I can meet you for tea sometime this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on your bullet journaling! It looks like you have a lot of fun stuff to use on it. I love to read, but I hate to write, so journaling is not for me. Every year I get a new St Louis Cardinals wall calendar and a small Cardinals planner that fits into my backpack, and I keep track of my appointments, birthdays, etc., on those. They at least get me everywhere on time, and they make sure I send out birthday cards at the right time, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!