Saturday, April 13, 2013

Tea Room Recipe #15 - 1928-style Orange Biscuits

If you're interested in a fun new breakfast or snack treat to go with your tea, may I recommend to you these Orange Biscuits?

I found this recipe in the 1928 booklet "Famous Tea Rooms and Their Famous Recipes," which was published by The Best Foods, Inc. Some of the tea rooms featured are the Mary Helen in Hollywood, Calif., the Brick Oven Tavern in Boston, Mass., the Lafayette Grill in Jacksonville, Fla. and the Patio Royal in New Orleans, La.

These biscuits are tasty, yes, especially with that surprise bit of sugar in the middle, but making them is just fun! You briefly soak a sugar cube in orange juice and then press it down into your biscuit dough.

You need to do this pretty quickly, because as you can see here with the biscuits at right, the sugar dissolves into the biscuit almost immediately.

Now I would say that you can try this flavor trick with your own favorite biscuit recipe, but here's the one from the book.

Orange Biscuits

4 cups bread flour (I used Swans Down)
3 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1-3/4 cups milk
Sugar cubes
Orange juice
Orange rind, grated

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt, then cut in shortening with a pastry blender. Add enough milk to make a soft dough. Roll out and cut into 1/2-inch-thick round biscuits. Place on greased baking sheet close together. Dip sugar cubes one at a time into orange juice and press into biscuit. Sprinkle orange rind over biscuits and bake for about 15 minutes. Yields 24 biscuits.

17 comments:

  1. THIS SOUNDS fun -- I'll have to try it sometime. Who wouldn't love anything orange!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's a really clever twist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who would have thought to do that with sugar cubes and biscuits? Fascinating! And delicious, too, I'd bet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun recipe! I wonder how it would be with other juices? Lemon, cranberry...? I'll be saving this one to try for sure. You find the funnest tea things - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy! What a fun vintage tea room cookbook too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting idea, I will have to try theses soon! I have never heard of sugar in orange juice. Thank you for the fun receipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fascinating! Clever idea with the sugar cube.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love citrus flavored anything. I just know these would be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a neat idea to use a sugar cube.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The book looks so interesting and the recipe looks delicious! Thank you for sharing, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds yummy!
    One quick question though. Did you mean to say "cake" flour- I'm only asking because I've never heard of Swans bread flour- thanks so much.
    Am going to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Teresa, "bread flour" is indeed what the recipe calls for, but I used Swans Down cake flour instead to make my biscuits fluffier. LOVE how these turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Angela- gonna try these- I have both flours so I'll decide which to use in the morning. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh these look delicious! Perfect with a cup of tea I bet!

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look wonderful. Not your usual biscuit fare.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!