Saturday, October 1, 2011

Tea Sandwich Saturday #40 - Creamy Egg Salad

Last weekend I was making a dessert that involved piping on some whipped cream, and it occurred to me that I really need to take a cake decorating class because I love piping and would like to learn fancier ways of doing it! Meanwhile, I was also craving some egg salad, and it struck me that piping egg salad into or on a tea sandwich might be fun.

But it would need to be a creamy egg salad, not a chunky egg salad, because chunks wouldn't squeeze through the piping tip on a pastry bag.

So I made up a super easy egg salad recipe that worked beautifully.

Creamy Egg Salad

4 hard-boiled eggs
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sweet relish

Combine all ingredients in food processor until very creamy and mixture resembles a dip or spread. Pipe onto or into sandwiches as desired. Yields about 3/4 cup spread.

I took this photo just after piping the egg salad onto the sandwiches. I placed them in the refrigerator and the piped egg salad held its shape quite well, so I would probably make these ahead of time and let them chill so the shape will "set" before serving.

REMINDER: Coming Monday is my announcement about a major project I've been working on. I hope you'll stop by to see what it is!

8 comments:

  1. Great idea,thanks for sharing.They look wnderful,perfect for all of our tea parties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a nice idea for a pretty egg tea sandwich. It's handy that they can be made ahead too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought the Wilton decorating books (same as they use for the classes) off ebay for next to nothing a few years ago. They are helpful in learning new decorating techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have thought about piping deviled eggs, but was too lazy to try it.
    Your egg salad piping is very pretty
    and dainty !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took a one day cake decorating course years ago and bought lots of equipment and it sits in the cupboard!
    Most bloggers pipe the icing on their cupcakes so i should dig my things out and play a little too.
    I wouldn't have thought to pipe egg salad, interesting idea.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, how did the month of September fly by already? I'm behind in my visits!

    I absolutely lurve egg salad anything! ha ha By the way, I like your new profile photo, very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, Angela - these look delicious! I love egg salad sandwiches, yum! Brings back memories of growing up, my Grand Mother loved to make these, so did my Mom. Hope you had a nice weekend, Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!