Friday, October 7, 2011

Store-bought madeleines: a lesson learned

Several times over the past few years I've written about madeleines, those classic shell-shaped treats that go so wonderfully well with a cup of tea. I've enjoyed making them, because they were actually pretty easy once I found a good recipe, and I was intrigued when I saw a package of them at the grocery store the other day.

I passed by the display twice, but the third time I decided to give these Entenmann's Ultimate Madeleines a try. In a pinch, it might be nice to know I could purchase madeleines for teatime. I couldn't find a price on the shelf or on the package itself, but hey, surely these wouldn't be more than $3 to $4, right? Imagine my shock when I checked out and realized I had just paid $6.29 for this package of madeleines! Gulp! (Later, I noticed the price was digitally printed on the side of the plastic container itself, not on the paper labels. Now I'll know where to look next time.)

And I'm very sorry to report these "Petite Butter Cakes" taste like a very average piece of pound cake, and I also didn't like the fact some of them were stuck together, looking like these. There were 13 in the package, which means I paid 48 cents apiece for some very sub-standard madeleines. I have in fact liked many of the Entenmann's products I've tried over the years, but the madeleines I make are so much better than these. So I'm curious, what do you think? Do you swear by homemade madeleines or would you have given these a try?

14 comments:

  1. Hi Angela,
    I'm like you, I would have been willing to give the "store bought" madeleines a try - especially if they were a good "name brand". I've done so in the past with other items; however,I've rarely found that store bought are as good as home made, although once in awhile they do in a "pinch". I too have been astounded by the price at the register when I missed finding the price on the item before checkout. Thank you for sharing your experiences. Have a great weekend. Margie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen them in the store, but the price made me think, no way. I haven't made madeleines all that often, but when I do I am so happy with the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have wanted to try a store bought version too, but over $6 for the package? Too expensive.
    I've tried a couple of madeleine recipes and found one I really like. The problem is, I could eat the whole batch they're so light and yummy.
    Perhaps freezing half would be the answer.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Angela,

    I recently saw these at the supermarket and wondered if they were any good. Thanks for the heads up!

    I actually brought lemon madeleines from a gourmet supermarket called Kings and they were delicious. I paid $4.99 for a small amount, but they were worth every dollar.

    Has anyone tried Martha Stewart's madeleine recipes? Do they come out moist and fluffy?

    Blessings, Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uugh! Good to know! It's especially disheartening when they're not pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, 48 cents apiece is too pricey for me. I might have picked them up at $3 or $4. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like to bake them - very easy - Angela - please come link up with Friends Sharing Tea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOH YUK !!!! I learned my lesson when I purchased a package of 4 little individual orange bundt cakes. They looked so cute. But tasted awful
    Thanks for the heads up on the Madelines.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I purchased the madeleines when we were in Hilton Head on vacation last summer. They were "OK" with my tea, because I really needed an afternoon tea fix. I was disappointed with the way they looked when they came out of the package because they were stuck together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I probably would have passed them by, but then I don't make them either. I made them once and wasn't impressed, but then maybe it was my recipe or not being able to get them out of their little molds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The only madeleines I've ever had I bought at Sam's Club and I just could not stop eating them. Now I'm wondering what home made madeleines taste like. Maybe I just thought they were delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have bought them too as I don't have the baking tin to do them myself. Thanks for sharing about the experience though, I can just walk on by next time I see them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I suggest going to Walbaum's to buy them. Walbaum's put them out for sale at $5 for two boxes very often. I find them quite tasty, but that's just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!