Friday, October 21, 2011

Christmas baking & decorating ideas

It's time to begin thinking about the Thanksgiving and Christmas baking we want to do, so today I thought I'd share a few mini-reviews of some of the new reads I've come across this fall. First, the 2011 Christmas with Southern Living book arrived and I just love it! The two things I most want to make are the Caramel-Pear Cake and the Baby Bananas Foster Cheesecakes. I absolutely *love* the idea of the bite-size Bananas Foster desserts—each just big enough to hold the glazed banana slice on top—and in fact these would make a great treat for a tea tray! The office Thanksgiving luncheon is just around the corner, and I'm thinking either the cake or these mini cheesecakes will be my contribution.

Christmas Cookies is a special issue from Better Homes and Gardens. As you might expect it's a winner, even though it's a bit pricey at $9.99. There are lots of pretty decorated sugar cookies, and there are also some lovely rolled, shaped and two-tone cookies. There's a great feature on thumbprint cookies and how to make variations using one simple basic dough. That's an idea I particularly like because it's such a time saver! I talked to some of my friends at work and was happy to learn they think an office-wide Cookie Exchange is a good idea. I'm going to start organizing it now!

Christmas Ideas is another Better Homes and Gardens special issue, and this one is just $5.99. I quit automatically buying these Christmas titles every year because some of the issues were starting to look alike to me, but this one had enough new ideas that I knew I wanted it. The blue-and-brown color combo is still popular, and so is the natural look with burlap and greenery. An article on "Tiny Tanenbaums" shows tiny evergreens planted in small bowls, and it struck me that teacups would work well for this idea too. There's also a cute packaging idea using paper doilies painted in bright, fun colors. That could be useful for those of us who have paper doilies left over from the year's tea parties! I know I'll be picking up more Christmas books and magazines in the weeks ahead. Do you have any to recommend?

9 comments:

  1. oooh. I love the idea of little evergreens in teacups. Hmmmm. I may have to create a project from that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! You know I am a magazine junkie! Thanks for the temptations, ahem, I mean reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all these publications and my preferred saving mode is to cut them up. I know that isn't for everyone but it works for me. Sometimes I have a copy a few pages here and there to because other recipes are on the back so I do that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know I am going to go GAGA over these fun magazines!!! I also can't wait to get yoru book!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great reviews, Angela - I must confess, 'I am a magazine junkie too!' Thanks for the heads-up,
    Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another magazine addict here. You do tempt us, shame on you! Smiling! I had a massage today and as it was happening I was laying there thinking about holiday menus. So it is in the air and I am making plans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your reviews! I'm trying to cut down on my magazine addiction, especially since I might be moving and downsizing soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops, I wasn't trying to hint that I didn't want to be tempted by magazine reviews. Reviews are helpful to decide which are really worth buying!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!