Saturday, August 25, 2007

Sugar-free Strawberry Tea Bread


One of the tea foods I have most enjoyed baking over the years is tea bread. I like the fact that a small loaf goes so far at a tea party, and I like experimenting with various fruits, nuts and flavorings in these loaves. The combinations are just endless!

My latest idea, though, is that someone ought to write a book of sugar-free teatime recipes (good ones, I mean), so I thought I'd start experimenting.

This Sugar-free Strawberry Tea Bread gets a solid B+, although my kind-hearted husband said it was "great." I used Sweet 'N Low and I think I can taste it a bit, which is not surprising since I'm such a sugar lover. I do know that I enjoyed the tea bread more this morning, straight out of the fridge, than last night when I first made it. The strawberries seem to have moistened the bread overnight, and this is great with a cup of green tea. If you care to try it, here's my recipe:

Sugar-free Strawberry Tea Bread

1 cup (24 packets) Sweet 'N Low brand sweetener
1-1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/4 cups frozen strawberries, thawed, with juice
2 eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x5x3-inch glass loaf pan with cooking spray.

In mixing bowl, sift flour, soda, cinnamon, salt and sweetener and mix. In another bowl, mix strawberries, eggs and oil. Add dry ingredients to strawberry mixture and gently stir to blend.

Pour into loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, until lightly browned and a toothpick in the center comes out clean.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. If you use Splenda instead, you won't have any aftertaste and no one will know it's sugar free. I use it in all my tea breads. It measures the same as sugar and leaves no aftertaste at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, even as I was tearing open the little pink packets last night, I remember thinking that there was some other brand of sweetener that I'd heard was best for baking, so I'm sure this is it. I'll try it with Splenda next time! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great timing. My husband was just diagnosed with diabetes. I'll have to try this recipe! He is so used to having something to snack on with his cuppa ....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!