Monday, July 29, 2024

Some thoughts on silver … and going for the gold


This weekend, I did some silver polishing, and for a timely reason. I was cleaning out one of Alex's old desks the other day and came across three silver forks engraved "Liddell." The McRae family tree includes some Liddells, and a family history I've read says this was Mrs. Liddell's wedding silver. A cousin passed these along several years ago, but alas, there were only the three forks, and I sure wished I had a fourth, because four could be used for a small tea party, right? But I kept staring at the pretty design and thinking, "Where have I seen this before?"


Then I remembered: Not long after we were married, Alex handed me a pillowcase, I believe it was, in which he'd wrapped a few silver pieces that belonged to his late mother. He said he thought I might like them, and indeed I did (and do). So now, I have four forks from his forebears—three of the seven-inch forks engraved "Liddell" and one 7-3/8-inch fork engraved "McRae." They're made of coin silver, which isn't quite as pure as sterling, but they all cleaned up beautifully with my beloved Wright's Silver Cream.


I also polished a large silver serving spoon Alex presented me with, and it, too, came via his mother. It's engraved "Mary Irvin," and I learned from a family history book that she passed away in 1861.



Another piece I've started polishing (so much that I actually ran out of silver cream!) was Alex's baby cup! I'm thinking of having a silversmith repair it by getting out the dents and dings, but first, I wanted to make sure it can be polished. 


I've still got work to do, but I think this is a vast improvement.


And after staring at that "Liddell" engraving handed down by my husband's family members, who came from Scotland, it dawned on me that "Liddell" was a name I'd heard before, and you may have already made the connection about Eric Liddell, the "Flying Scotsman," who won a gold medal for the 400-meter race in the Paris Olympics of 1924. I've found no evidence that "our" Liddells have a direct connection to the famous runner, but I still like sharing a name with someone who honored the Lord by refusing to run on the Sabbath yet went on to win the gold. And if I had ever seen Chariots of Fire, the 1981 movie about Eric Liddell, I'd certainly forgotten it, so I watched it twice this weekend. Highly recommend! 

7 comments:

  1. Angela, we have several serving spoons that came from Steve’s family. We were told that silversmiths used to travel the area and make spoons out of coins. Steve’s family is from Kentucky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found that 4th fork, now use them proudly. And I think the dents in that cup add character. 😀. I need to find mine…my cup, not my character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sweet that you have Alex's silver baby cup! Do you know who gave it to him? I'm glad you finally got to see the movie "Chariots of Fire." It's very inspiring.
    In my younger days, I was a marathon runner, and at races they ALWAYS played the theme music from "Chariots of Fire" to encourage us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are beautiful and have such meaning. Make sure you document everything you know about them to pass along to the next "caretaker".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pieces. I think it's very special that they have family meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating! That is a good movie, one I should watch again. The silverware is beautiful. I had collected odd pieces of flatware to use at the tea festival a few years ago from Goodwill. Then I noticed a couple were silver and quite nice. That's when I noticed one of the attendees was pocketing a piece of silver. Now the silver pieces are mine, no more temptations. Ha! I don't mind a mismatched set.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so timely, Angela. I just read an article recently that this is the 100th anniversary of Eric Liddell winning the Olympic medals!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!