Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Tea and toast and … pandemic hobbies

 


The other night, I was reading a magazine article and came across the term "pandemic hobbies." I had not heard that term before, but I knew immediately what it meant: some new hobby that we've learned (or resumed) as a result of the pandemic. While I've gotten a lot more writing done during the past year, that's not exactly something new for me. But I did learn to make sourdough bread last spring and have made a loaf pretty much every week since, and because of that, I've taken to using my tea and toast sets to make tea and toast more special.


I've often seen this quote: "Bread and water can so easily be tea and toast." I love that! It's got so much to do with attitude and outlook and very little to do with circumstances. And that's how I see "tea and toast" when presented this way. I rarely buy jam or jelly, but fortunately, Alex has been eating PB&Js lately, so there happened to be some grape jelly in the fridge. I'm thinking some orange marmalade is in my future. And I still enjoy using these Lipper and Mann tea and toast sets in the Bristol Garden pattern. The set of eight was just $14.99, a favorite antique mall find of 2012. (Having a blog lets me date things I would never otherwise remember!)


And back to sourdough, over the weekend, I tried a new crosshatch design when I scored my bread. I like the way it turned out!


At my suggestion, my sister got me this sourdough kit for Christmas, and I am enjoying learning more about banneton basket proofing and using a scoring lame (the razor blade thingy, in case you're like me and did not know the word "lame" meant anything except in the sense of "that's so lame"). So I've said all that to say this: Sourdough bread baking has become one of my pandemic hobbies. Card making is another. What about you?

12 comments:

  1. Well my husband has dabbled in bread making for years but his pandemic hobby has been to absolutely perfect his bread making skills. Gosh, it could be a super long post sharing all he has made! We have happy family and friends, because I try so hard not to eat too much...but it is soooooooooooooooo good.

    My favorite are his French baguettes. They arre crispy on the outside and soft and tasty in the insides - and make such perfect toast. (As in your pic, similar.) YUM!

    So you aren't much of a jam/jelly person? Or just try not to eat it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it, I just don't *require* it on my toast, and I tend to want something savory first thing. (Alas, there's not much I try not to eat, although I probably *should* try not to eat certain things!)

      Delete
  2. Your tea and toast sets are so pretty! I don't know that I have any new pandemic hobbies but I have done more sewing recently so I guess it is a "renewed" hobby. And I started some wool applique ornaments but didn't get very far before the holidays. Maybe by next Christmas I can finish them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooooh ... I am always tempted when I see those pretty wool ornament kits. Maybe you'll get some snow days and can stay home and stitch!

      Delete
  3. That really is a pretty tea and toast set! As they sing in the "Do, Re, Mi" song from "Sound of Music," the note ti [tea] is "a drink with jam and bread." I love jams and marmalade and always have several kinds in my refrigerator, ready to be used on toast, crumpets, scones, biscuits, or whatever. And speaking of crumpets, I'll be making some sourdough ones today. They're my favorite thing to make with the weekly "discard" from my sourdough. In regard to pandemic hobbies, birdwatching is one that I spend more time on now. I've always liked birds, but this summer I got more serious and bought some really good birding binoculars, and now every day when I go for a walk I watch for birds in the woods. I am really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The birdwatching sounds delightful. On my afternoon walks, I have started what I guess you would call "birdlistening" since I rarely see them in the trees but *hear* at least three or four distinctive sounds. As a writer, I find myself struggling to come up with the right words to describe what I'm hearing!

      Delete
  4. I've been working throughout the pandemic so I haven't had much additional time for pandemic hobbying. I do love to bake bread and I heartily recommend Bonne Maman Orange Marmalade. I am very fond of marmalade but most are far too sweet for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will have to look for that kind, Kigwit, so thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m so glad you have taken up bread baking. I’ve been baking bread for years and enjoy it. My pandemic hobbies are learning to crochet and relearning to knit. I’ve enjoyed making dish cloths.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been quilting and sewing away during the pandemic. I've discovered that I love to make historic costumes. Forotunately, I've been able to attend two outdoor, social-distanced events with a costume guild. My favorite time periods are Victorian and Regency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I would love to see those! I copyedit for a Regency romance novelist, and I love reading her exquisite descriptions of their clothing!

      Delete
  8. I love this and that quote is a favorite of mine. I absolutely would love sour dough toast and jam with tea. Yummmm! There is a tearoom near me that I have gotten a monthly subscription for two packages of crumpets, which are also delicious toasted with jam. I have started doing art on used teabags during the pandemic.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!