Friday, January 8, 2021

An "unorthodox" method of making tea … in 1913


My friend Becky recently sent me a link to the Feeding America cookbook site at Michigan State University, and one of the books I looked into was from 1913, Dishes & Beverages of the Old South by Martha McCulloch-Williams. I'm interested in documenting any early references to tea in this country, so I always turn to the table of contents to see if "tea" is listed anywhere, and I found that section as I scrolled through the PDF of the book on my computer. Check out the author's "unorthodox" method of making tea:



An interesting way of making tea, to be sure!

If you like perusing old cookbooks as well, check out the collection here.


6 comments:

  1. This is fascinating, Angela!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting but also strange - I am not sure I'd want to try it (do I even have a napkin big enough to wrap around a pot holding a gallon of water?) but it must have worked for someone. I might be willing to try a glass of tea with rum and lemon, and for sure the Maraschino cherry, I love those things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love old cookbooks! That one sure has a pretty cover. And yes, like Joy I would be happy to try the tea with rum, lemon, and Maraschino cherries. That would be a very good way to warm oneself up on these cold damp dreary winter days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh isn't that interesting! And wow - that to me isn't much tea for a whole gallon of water, either. I guess I love a really strong cuppa = in tea and in coffee. My brother in law says it best: "I like my coffee so strong it's almost chewable." LOL.

    I love your history stuff, thanks Angela. Another one for the win!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so interesting to read old cook books.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!