Wednesday, May 20, 2020

What's in your teacup?

Most of the women I know have been cooking more this spring, for obvious reasons, and a new recipe I tried recently was this sweet potato soup. I used this recipe, with a few tweaks such as halving it and substituting a total of two cups of whole milk for the stock and canned coconut milk. It was delicious! And yes, I served it in a Royal Winton Welbeck chintz teacup. I had planned to puree it so it would be pretty in my spring teacup, but when I tasted it, I loved it just as it was, and my husband did too. So, I had chunky soup in a chintzy teacup.

Want another recipe? Then some of you might like to read what I had to say about our cooking craze in my latest column for The Coweta Shopper, which is here.

And in other cooking news … my first attempt at a sourdough starter turned green in two days, so I tossed it out. My second one looks fine and *smells* like sourdough bread, but after seven days now, it still isn't rising. If any of you are sourdough starter experts, please send tips!


4 comments:

  1. I was searching for information regarding a tea room I used to go to with my mother as a young lady. I grew up in Asheville, NC and my mother took me to my first tea room when I was 14. The name of this special place was Chelsea's tea room. My mother would take me there on special occasions. Unfortunately, the quaint tea room isn't there anymore. Hasn't been for several years. I'm looking to purchase an old cookbook from there. It was titled, "In Chelsea's Kitchen". I've looked on amazon but can't seem to find it. Could you be of any help? I would LOVE to get my hands on a copy for sentimental reasons. I'm looking forward to following your blog! Thank you- Julie Shinn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have sourdough starter which I feed every week, but I'm not an expert on it. I got my initial starter from King Arthur Flour, and if you look on their website and search for "sourdough," you will find tips on how to deal with problems. Good Luck! Your column in "The Coweta Shopper" reminded me of how much I like salmon cakes, and I do have a can of salmon in my cupboard, so I will definitely make some tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you mean the starter itself isn’t rising or the bread you make from it isn’t rising? If it’s the starter it may need more time. Do you see any bubbles on the surface? Look at king Arthur flour website. They have lots of starter tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginger, it's the starter that wasn't rising, but since yesterday, it's started to rise a little bit. Maybe I'm just impatient? I'll be checking out the King Arthur site, though, thanks to you and Vernona. Thanks!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!