Friday, May 3, 2019

"Tea Timer's Best Recipes"

I don't normally look through the many community cookbooks when I'm browsing through the stacks at Goodwill, but this one caught my eye the other day.

Tea Timer's Best Recipes, it said, and with the Old Country Roses on the cover, I knew this book was going home with me before I ever turned the page.

Douglasville, Georgia, is just about 30 minutes north of my house in Newnan, and I love knowing that the "Tea Timers" there had (or perhaps still have) a monthly tea. Most of the recipes appear to be simply the members' favorites, not teatime recipes, but there is a brief section of "This & That." It includes recipes for Carrot Cake Tea Sandwiches, in which a carrot and cream cheese mixture is served on cinnamon raisin bread, and Doris's Cucumber Sandwiches. Doris used vanilla yogurt along with cream cheese and toasted the bread on her sandwiches. I am going to have to give these a try just out of curiosity!

Community cookbooks like this one are always fun to read, because they're not just the stories of food but also the stories of people—and a group of tea-loving women, in this case. Do you own any/many community cookbooks? Have a favorite?

9 comments:

  1. I love this type of cookbook and I have several! Probably my favorite is the one from my church, published 15 or more years ago, which includes recipes from many friends, plus some from my mother and one from one of my daughters! If I had seen one like yours, it would have come home with me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too many exclamation points up there...I hit publish before I re-read it. Just delete a couple in your mind. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that makes me laugh, Joy! (!) I am an overuser of exclamation points in my personal writing. I know the rules, but I choose to break them sometimes! :)

      Delete
  3. I hope you'll publish some of the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll make sure they work, and then I sure will! :)

      Delete
  4. I love community cookbooks! They ARE such fun to look through, even if you never actually use any of the recipes. I have many--too many to choose a favorite. My sisters are always on the look-out for interesting ones (new or used) to give to me as Christmas or birthday presents. They even found one from Hawaii to give me this past Christmas. I was touched when a friend gave me one that her late mother's ladies' group had published 50 years ago. My friend said, "I'm not much of a cook myself, and I know you'll appreciate this cookbook and use it more than I do."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Community cookbooks usually have great recipes. I hope you find many things to make.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun find. I have cleaned out some of my cookbooks, but still have a few community ones. One particular cookbook I still use and it is quite worn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also have quite a few church and community cookbooks. My favorite cookbook is from the Magnolia & Ivy that I purchased in Destin. They no longer operate that location. This "Southern Teatime Made Easy" cookbook contains my favorite microwave lemon curd recipe (it always turns out great).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!