Friday, May 10, 2019

An unexpected teacup collector

Occasionally, I find articles pertaining to teatime when I'm not even looking for them, and that was the case when I sat in bed the other night and perused the new issue of Country Gardens.

Inside was a feature called "His & Her Anthology, about a husband-and-wife team who serve as historic interpreters at Old Sturbridge Village in Massachusetts, which I've not visited but have certainly heard of. One of them collects teacups, and one of them collects antique garden tools. But can you guess who collects what?

I was intrigued to learn that Bruce Craven collects antique transferware, especially those teacups with an agricultural motif. His wife, Christie Higginbottom, collects the garden tools. I'd never thought of "agricultural motifs" as something to look for, and I love knowing that a man in Massachusetts has this particular teacup-gathering interest, resulting in a collection of some 200 teacups. Other than a few tea wares with handwriting on them, I can't think of any particular "motif" I collect. Do you have a specialty?

6 comments:

  1. What a fun discovery in Country Living! No, I don't have a "specialty" although I am drawn to anything with violets on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, that should say Country Gardens. I should remember to engage my brain before I type!

      Delete
  2. I do collect transferware teacup and absolutely love the one I see in the article. It looks like a handleless cup, which makes it very old. I look for the handleless one and only have two, but have my eye on one at the antique shop not far from Portland. The only reason I haven't bought it is because of the crasing, but it is pretty. It is amazing that it is the man that collects them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very interesting about the gentleman who collects antique teaware with agricultural motifs! I don't usually buy individual teacups myself, but I love to look at them. I like ones with fruit and/or flowers, especially on the INSIDE of the cup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting article. No, I do not have a specialty. Though I am usually attracted to florals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw the article too. Great, fun choices!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!