Thursday, October 16, 2014

A surprise of vintage teatime recipes

Jenn in Massachusetts e-mailed a few days ago and said she had "a little something" she wanted to send me. When her package arrived, it contained the most charming 1904 book titled "A Book of Beverages."

I hope you can tell from the photo, but the title was printed on its own paper label and affixed to the book's cover. I just love that, but then I just love vintage things anyway. This book was published by Jenn's Daughters of the American Revolution chapter, the Colonel Timothy Bigelow (Bigelow!) Chapter. She said their chapter house is being reorganized, a stash of these books was found, and the group decided to use them as a fundraiser. I am, then, the happy recipient of one of them, and I found several recipes for tea inside!

This recipe for Ginger Tea sounds pretty simple, doesn't it? I tend to forget that homemade teas have been around for quite a while.

And this recipe for Boston Punch made with tea sounds easy and pretty. "A single violet may be added to each cup," it says. I think of edible flower embellishments as being a new trend, but apparently the idea has been around for some time. I've so enjoyed reading through this delightful gift from a thoughtful tea friend, and I look forward to enjoying this "Book of Beverages" for years to come!

9 comments:

  1. How thoughtful to send you the book, it couldn't have gone to a better home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun new [to you] vintage book from a thoughtful blog reader/follower. Surprises in the mail brightens any day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are enjoying it. The Boston Punch resonated with me too. I'm hoping I can make it for one of our DAR events!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delightful! A treasure found for the perfect person!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful book for Jenn to share with you. And thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love this book, thanks for sharing with us. Lucky you to receive it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful little treasure! If these books are being used as a fundraiser, does that mean that they are for sale? I'd love to purchase one if they are.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!