Tuesday, September 21, 2010

"The Awe-manac" by Jill Badonsky

How successful have you been with your New Year's Resolutions for 2010? I took stock of my own recently and realized the one that most concerned me was a resolution to work on my creative writing more this year. I wasn't feeling very inspired by the creative writing books I had on hand, and when I went exploring I came across this whimsical book, "The Awe-manac: A Daily Dose of Wonder" by Jill Badonsky. You can't judge a book by its cover? Ohhhhh, but sometimes you can, and these whimsical tea drawings inspire me every time I look at them!

So yes, this book has a tea-themed cover, but I also wanted to tell you about this book because it's just such a fun read for all sorts of creative souls. And frankly, I believe *everyone* is creative in one way or another. I like to think I'm creative with writing and needlecrafting. Other friends are creative with their artwork, their photography, or their decorating. Or maybe the way they entertain.

This book is rather a humorous take on the "Old Farmer's Almanac," and for each day, and at the beginning of each month, it gives you offbeat celebrations to enjoy. I particularly liked learning that September is "Be Kind to Writers and Editors Month." Amen! Other holidays include No Talk Day, Anonymous Giving Week and National Napping Day (I can't wait!). Prompts in the book are just plain fun, and I find myself eager to pull out my pen and creative writing notebook each day. Today, for instance, I used a prompt to write about "peculiar people" I know, and I know plenty. Another day's prompt led me to write about towels. Another day I was inspired to write about nitpicking. So if you need a little creativity boost, and not just about writing, this book is a great place to turn. And the whimsical teaware drawings will sweeten your reading as well!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Angela, Just took time to get caught up on some of your latest posts, I've missed quite a bit! Especially the give away post which was on my birthday no less! Then getting to spend the day with Dianne Graham & Julie Norris, whew! I wish I could have been there just to listen. I love their devotional! Then to read of the beautiful, pink, vintage depression glass collection! Oh my heart is racing! I can't wait to see what other pieces you find. I'll be sure to keep my eyes out for you. Have a great day......
    Toot-a-loo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I intended to get back to you sooner, but my computer/internet had me wishing I had not gotten out of bed yesterday (Tuesday).

    First, I love the Art Deco pink glass. Very stylish and a fine example of the period.

    Second, I would like to invite you to join us for Tuesday Tea. It's very informal and we include a bit of art, a bit of this, and a bit of that, as long as it's tea related. I was so glad you stopped by and possibly had a look at my tutorials, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!