Saturday, April 6, 2013

Tea Room Recipe #14 - The Wild Olive Tearoom (Kingsville, Texas)

Any seafood lovers reading today? This week's Tea Room Recipe is Shrimp Newburg, and it is so easy and sooooo good!

I came across this recipe in a cookbook for The Wild Olive Tearoom which was once located in the Sellers Market in Kingsville, Texas. Now the Sellers Market (now closed) was an interesting concept and something I'd never heard of before. According to the book, in 1985 a town leader was looking for a way to help revitalize the town, and the non-profit Kingsville Action Network was formed. The group rented 5,000 square feet in the historic Flato Hardware Building, and volunteers turned the space into a place where arts and crafts were sold. (The name "Sellers Market" honored a local man, Bill Sellers, by the way.) In what I think was a brilliant arrangement, the enterprise was manned largely by the "working members" of the market, who had to work 12 shifts at the store each year to maintain working member status. Most of the proceeds went to the individuals, but a small percentage was donated to local charities in the community. In 1988, the Wild Olive Tearoom was added and became a popular spot for lunch, dessert, and social events such as teatime. I'd love to see a place like that in my area!

This recipe from the Wild Olive was shared by a Betty Shamel, who noted, "This recipe is often served at Mrs. Jefferies Tea House in Mission, Texas." I hope it was served at the Wild Olive as well, because it is terrific!

Shrimp Newburg

2 tablespoons butter
1-3/4 tablespoons flour
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons ketchup
3/4 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 pound cooked and peeled shrimp*
2 tablespoons cooking sherry
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper (I used white pepper)
Cooked rice, as desired

In medium saucepan, melt butter and add flour, whisking well. Add cream and heat on medium to high heat until thickened, whisking constantly. Add ketchup and Worcestershire sauce and combine. Add shrimp, sherry, salt and pepper. Heat thoroughly and serve over rice.

*I used uncooked shrimp and simply cooked the sauce a few extra minutes until the shrimp turned pink.

11 comments:

  1. Looks and sound delicious! Served on a pretty plate, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks good and so easy. I may fix this for my next lunch bunch lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks yummy! I love shrimp so will have to give it a try.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU!!

    I am definately going to fix this, have had it out and never remembered the name...yum....have all that in the house, maybe tonight.

    Whoo hoo! Thanks, doll!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recipe, it sounds delicious. Just thinking, I have some shrimp in my freezer and this would be perfect for them. Now I am hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, Angela - your photo is so beautiful, I am ready to try this recipe! Pretty plate, too. I agree with you: it would be great to have a 'Seller's Market' in the area. I love your blog, it's always so interesting. Have a great weekend, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that does look good and easy. I start my white sauce the same way so would use milk instead of the whipping cream to save on calories. I like the savoury additions.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! The Sellers market sounded like a neat place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been surfing online more than three hours today,
    yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
    It is pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all webmasters and bloggers made
    good content as you did, the internet will be a lot more useful than ever before.


    my web blog ... Diet Plans That Work Fast

    ReplyDelete
  10. The сheese ωould be melted and bubbly, but moѕt аdvantageous
    of all the toρpingѕ woulԁ not be burnt. The рublican гequeѕted Daisy,
    hiѕ baгmаіd, to provide some celebгatοrу
    combineԁ ԁrinκs. * Chinese
    pіzza: Tοp rated unbaked pizzа dough with hоisin sauce, sliced green pepρers anԁ onions, and
    sauteed shitake mushroomѕ.

    My web pаge - using a pizza stone on Gas grill

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thе cheese would be melted and bubbly, but most advantageous of all the toppingѕ woulԁ not be burnt.
    Thе publicаn requested Dаisy, his bаrmaiԁ,
    to prοvide ѕome celebratory combіned dгinks.

    * Chіneѕe pizza: Top rated unbaked pizza dοugh with hoiѕin ѕauce, ѕliсed green peppers аnd onions,
    and ѕauteed shitakе mushrоomѕ.


    Hеrе iѕ my web blog using a pizza stone on Gas grill

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!