Monday, October 26, 2020

Finding tea at Serenbe

Yesterday, Alex and I were going a little stir crazy, so after Zoom church, we headed up the road where we figured we could safely social distance and enjoy a walk at Serenbe, a planned community in neighboring Fulton County. When I was a reporter many moons ago, I interviewed the founders, Steve and Marie Nygren, who got the name "Serenbe" from a combination of the words "Serenity" and "Being," and Serenbe has drawn accolades from all over the world, including Oprah, for its "New Urbanism" development in Chattahoochee Hills. (Fun fact for tea lovers: Marie Nygren is the daughter of the late Margaret Lupo, who owned Mary Mac's Tea Room in Atlanta.)

Many of the homes we passed had lovely fall displays.

I didn't expect to see so many flowers at this time of year, and these camellias were particularly lovely.

One home had lavish beds of daisies out front.

And I wasn't the only one enjoying them!

We stopped for snacks at the Blue Eyed Daisy, where I got a chocolate cupcake and some excellent loose tea, listed as simply a black tea with rose, cocoa, and cloves. The cupcakes were buy one get one free, and Alex wanted a brownie instead of a cupcake, so we got the extra one to go, and they packaged both of them in upside-down plastic cups. What a great idea for how to package a cupcake!

And the cupcake was excellent, by the way. I think the chocolate cupcakes my friend Susan makes are the best I've ever eaten, and this one tasted exactly like hers: moist cake and creamy frosting.

When Alex and I were seated outside and I told him I really wished I knew what kind of tea that was, he said, "You want me to go ask?" I said yes, and he did. The helpful clerk came and shared the name with me. Anyone ever heard of August Uncommon Tea? I had not, but I sure plan to check out their teas now. 

When I told Alex I would blog about the tea, he said, "You want to show them what I had?" and I said, "Sure!"

It was fun to get away from home for a few hours, and finding a new tea was the icing on the (cup) cake!



10 comments:

  1. What a lovely place for a walk on a beautiful fall day! I remember reading about Serenbe when it was first being developed, but had not heard much about it recently. That tea sounds divine! (as does the cupcake.) I'm glad you and Alex could enjoy the afternoon there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun 'escape'! August tea is new to me... and with an August birthday, I feel like I 'need' it! Glad you had an enjoyable outing and a break from all that is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! Brownies, cupcakes,and Alex too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are really beautiful photos of the flowers! I like the bees as well, and the yummy cupcake. But sometimes I just want a Coke and a brownie, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed your Sunday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have ordered from AugustTea. My favorites were Passage & Low Country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting us know, and now, I will have to check those out! :)

      Delete
  7. I love the way they packaged your cupcake! We help in concession stands quite often. I will suggest this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it, too, Penny! I thought that was the most simple, clever thing I've seen in a while.

      Delete
  8. What a lovely outing. Yes, clever to package in the upside down cup. The cupcake looks yummy.The tea sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!