Wednesday, August 22, 2018

The famous September issue of Vogue

Over the past few months, I have received an incredible number of offers for totally free magazine subscriptions, probably because I'm on some mailing list from back when I was a city magazine editor myself. So I'm now getting everything from Vogue and Bazaar to regional titles like Seattle, Portland Monthly, Charlotte, and Houstonia, to lifestyle mags like VerandaTaste of Home, Martha Stewart Living, Food Network Magazine, and O, the Oprah Magazine. But the new Vogue is here this week, and it happens to be that big honkin' 648-page whopper of a magazine that is their September issue. This one has a lovely Beyoncé on the cover. I'm trying to figure out why she's wearing a flower arrangement on her head, but Beyoncé seems to have done just fine without my input, so there's that.

I accepted the Vogue subscription since a character in one of the novels I'm working on reads Vogue for inspiration, but in this gigantic September issue, which I've not yet started actually reading, I've yet to come across an article. The table of contents doesn't appear until page 138, which just blows my mind, but Vogue, like Beyoncé, does just fine without my opinion. But I came across an ad that stopped me in my tracks. Can you guess what this is advertising?

Gucci! And what does it say about me that I'm far more interested in the teapot (at right) and all the plates than the fashion?

And here's another two-page ad with even more breakables, though I wish this model would kindly get her loafers off those dishes. I think the monkey at left agrees with me. I'm too exhausted from trying to find the table of contents to know whether I'll come across any tea in this magazine, but stay tuned, because it's certainly surprised me so far!

7 comments:

  1. My reaction to the Gucci ad says the same thing about me as yours does about you! And yes, she needs to get her feet off the plates. :-) Good luck "reading" anything in that magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Standing on china! What will they think of next? Ha!! This magazine will capture my attention to leaf through at the magazine stand next time I get to the market. Probably won't buy, but a quick leaf through will be fun. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right--forget looking at the Gucci fashion, let's check out all that china instead! I hope that the model isn't really standing on top of the plates but that the scene was just Photo-Shopped to make it look that.--from Vernona in DC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha. I agree with you. I wonder if any plates were broken during the photo shoot?

    ReplyDelete
  5. you've got me chuckling!
    The new Daphne's Diary has some cute tea-themed cut-outs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, Loralie! I'll have to look for it!

      Delete
  6. Hmmm, was the ad for Gucci sunglasses? Quite interesting how things have changed, what would make someone photoshop standing on plates. Page 138 for the TOC! Scratching my head.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!