Friday, August 3, 2018

A 1915 Red Cross Tea Room photo



So my obsession with old tea photos from the Library of Congress continues, and this week's find is just endlessly fascinating to me, so I hope this 1915 photo piques your interest as much as it did mine! You'll note the women are carrying trays bearing boxes of tea.

The LOC entry says: "Photograph probably shows Helen Fidelia Hoffman (Mrs. William Kinnicutt Draper), a Red Cross volunteer involved in the March 1915 Red Cross Tea Room at the International Flower Show in New York City; and Mary B. Atterbury (Mrs. J. Fuller Potter), later Mrs. Henry Wainwright. (Source: Flickr Commons project, 2012)"

Check out the hats. The dresses. The brooches. The shoes. And on the photo of Mrs. Potter-slash-Mrs. Wainwright at right, would you say that's pantalets peeking out?

Fun stuff, at any rate! If you'd like to see the complete reference for yourself, click here.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, what a great photo! I love the clothes and of course, the trays of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen's photo looks like her face was cut from another photo and pasted in place, bless her heart. Lovely ladies none the less. Mary's broach is in an odd placement to my mind. I wish I could clearly magnify the picture to determine if the broaches are patriotic in nature or merely decorative. I'd also love to identify those containers of tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I thought the same thing about Helen's photo! I know they didn't have Photoshop back then, but her face sure looks Photoshopped, doesn't it? Maybe it's just a strap beneath the chin or something.

      Delete
  3. That IS an intriguing photo. Mrs. Porter probably would have been mortified to know that her pantalets were showing in the photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely love it! What a fun find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting photo. I agree with Mary, the head placement is odd. I can’t tell if her hair is showing or if it’s covered and something tied under her chin.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!