Monday, August 20, 2018

A teacup that's brimming with history

On Saturday, Aunt Jane and I shopped in Rome, Georgia, and one of the antique malls there turned up a red transferware teacup that has already provided me with much more than $9.99 worth of intrigue. The front of the teacup features the images of Priscilla and John Alden, who were some of the Pilgrims who came to America on the Mayflower.

The back of the teacup features this image of the Statue of Massasoit, said to be the leader of the Wampanoag when the Pilgrims arrived at Plymouth.

The saucer depicts more images associated with the early years of our country. Like most Americans, I imagine, I'm always interested in the story of how our forefathers got to America. Years ago at a family reunion, a relative shared a notebook of photos and genealogy, and I learned that my paternal grandmother, Ruby Pace Webster, was descended from Richard Pace, an early settler of Jamestown, who was born in 1590 in England and died at Jamestown in 1628 (or 1627). Back in England, he had married an Isabella Smyth (or Smythe), and their plantation on the James River was called Paces Paines. (And that's as far into the story as I've gotten, as I simply don't have time to dig deeply into family history. Maybe when I retire one day!)

 So I wonder about the unknown ship (not the Mayflower) that brought my relatives to America.

Also, I was fascinated by the teacup's design of the portico over Plymouth Rock. Never having been to Plymouth, I had to research this and find actual photos of this portico. Who knew? (All of you who've visited Plymouth, no doubt!)

And I must say I find great irony in the fact that Adams Potteries in Staffordshire, England, made the teacup commemorating some early American history. So as much as I resist adding to my teacup collection these days, this is one of those sets I bought purely for its history!

11 comments:

  1. What an interesting teacup and saucer! You are great at finding treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous find! I do love red transferware and this one with its history is such a treasure. You did well to find it. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful and intriguing teacup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great find! Totally understand the need to be, er, more selective in the collecting these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That will be a wonderful study....the first 3 ships the Susan Constant, Godsped and the Discovery. They arrived 1607....he must of been on a later ship which makes sense because the early folks didn't survive: https://www.historyisfun.org/jamestown-settlement/jamestown-ships/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, how could I forget to say - Wonderful teacup/saucer! I was born in Hampton but graduated from York High School at Yorktown.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing piece of history in a teacup. So happy you found it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice find that tea cup was! It's specially interesting to me because I'm a direct descendant of John Alden and Priscilla Mullins--my mother did the extensive genealogical research to find that out, back in the days before computers made it easier. I've been to see Plymouth Rock, and to the more interesting "Plimoth Plantation" which shows how the Pilgrims lived. I hope you make it to Jamestown sometime, Angela! I haven't been there yet, although I often take the train to Colonial Williamsburg, which isn't far from Jamestown.--from Vernona in DC

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting cup and saucer. Your family history is fascinating. I would love to dig deeper in my family history but like you I simply do not have time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I would have snapped that up eventhough I try not to buy, but this one is amazing with the history.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!