Wednesday, January 25, 2017

"Victoria" on PBS

So are you watching "Victoria" on PBS? I missed the first episode but caught up online and then watched it on TV Sunday night. Count me in! I had actually started rewatching my old "Downton Abbey" DVDs the other weekend, but then I realized "Victoria" was in progress and knew I wanted to watch.

Queen Victoria is well worth studying, and some years ago, I read a terrific biography of her (reviewed here with some Queen Victoria tea-related tidbits from the book). The show is, of course, as lavish and spectacularly filmed as I hoped it would be. 

And I noted on the PBS site that they confirmed it was indeed John Brown who "taught Victoria how to put a nip of Scotch in her tea."

If you haven't yet watched the show, click here to see a preview … and grab a cup of tea because you'll be hooked!



10 comments:

  1. I will have to catch up on this one after football season is over. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are enjoying Victoria, I read the book over Christmas to be ready! Watching Downton all over again too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't watch the Victoria series because I'm unable to get PBS on my television, but I'm glad you mentioned again the Stanley Weintraub biography of Queen Victoria. I found the book fascinating the first time I read it several years ago, and now I think I'll read it again. Unlike you, I LOVE long books--particularly 19th-century novels and biographies and histories. A favorite quote of mine is from C.S. Lewis: "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
    --from Vernona in DC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to catch up on this once it is on Netflix - been travelling and missed it - my tea friends could talk of little else this past weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm enjoying Victoria very much and will probably purchase the series on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooked already! The black boots at the end and the look on Victoria's face was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a good show. I've not heard of it so thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was in London in May of last year I purchased a historic novel about Queen Victoria at the Kensington Palace gift shop, which I recently enjoyed reading. When Victoria started on PBS I knew I would be watching. I am loving it and love that the book is fresh in my mind to go along with the series.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!