Friday, January 6, 2017

How Southern tea lovers get ready for the snow

Here in Georgia, the big, big news is that we may get some snow today or tomorrow. I'm talking three or four inches, aka "a blizzard" by Georgia standards! That means we've all made a run on the grocery stores (and in my case, two libraries to make sure I'm a well-stocked reader if I am indeed snowed in). Happily, I also have a well-stocked tea cabinet, and the snowy, gray skies this week had me thinking about snowy teawares and "grey" tea.

I was at a meeting the other night when a new friend, Cynthia, handed me a cute gift bag and said there was something in it for me. She knows I like tea, and she and her husband recently visited Savannah and brought me back this Savannah Grey blend, which she noted is her husband's favorite, and some delicious Scottish shortbread. What a lovely and unexpected treat here in the first week of January!

I looked at these tea leaves before I even read the label, and I was instantly struck by how lovely they were. I knew by the variety of leaves this wasn't just an extra bergamotty Earl Grey but something special. Savannah Grey, according to the package, is "a superior China black tea with long silvery tips. Bergamot (a Mediterrean citrus) and lavender are added to this beautiful tea for optimum taste. Cornflowers are added to enhance the visual pleasure. This is Savannah's Earl Grey." And I must tell you, it was absolutely divine! I've had lavender-flavored teas before, and I've had Earl Grey teas before, but Oh. My. Goodness. This blend had a richness and a depth that's quite unlike any other Earl Greys I've tried. I can see why my friend's husband loves it—and the fact it comes from The Tea Room in Savannah (no longer a tearoom, but they do still sell teas in a local book shop) is a delightful bonus. (They also sell them online here.) So if I'm snowed in with my books and tea this weekend, I believe we shall get along just splendidly.

14 comments:

  1. Yep, the hysteria has hit here in Columbus, as well.
    I don't have to go to the store. Plenty of milk, bread, coffee, eggs and tea! Plus, just came back with a stack of books from the library. We're ready.
    I do not enjoy winter weather!
    Shari in Columbus, GA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Miss Angela:
    I enjoyed your post today! I understand about the snow storm and the uproar it can make in our beloved southern states. There can be mass hysteria and nonstop chit-chat about the impending blizzard... I mean couple of inches. :) We too are getting a bit of snow tomorrow and I know I am staying well away from the grocery store today, as the check out lines will be filled with buggy after buggy!
    PS: I also liked seeing your new tea. As my mama's people are from around that area, Savannah, I may need to buy a package of the tea, as a remembrance of her, to sit on my shelve.
    Many blessings and thank you for your post!
    Mrs. B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am well stocked with tea, too - as well as groceries and books, and other projects - but I think I may need to order some of that Savannah Grey tea! Earl Grey is one of my favorite teas, and this version with lavender and cornflowers sounds divine. Thank you for telling us about it and for the link to order it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a "snow day" here in southeastern Kentucky. 1 1/2 inches of snow and 16 degrees = no school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazingly, no snow in my part of Michigan yet, but it's very cold. 16 degrees when I was out earlier today. Perfect hot tea weather!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you get enough to be pretty and fun, but not cause trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you stocked up on bread and milk. Lol. Enjoy the snow, books and new tea. It's snowing here too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a perfectly fine "time for tea" & a book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds lovely. The Asheville Tea Company also has a black tea blend with lavender and bergamot. It is called "wild earl."
    http://www.ashevilleteacompany.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am chuckling as I read of your idea of being snowed in, come north and experience 3-4 feet of snow. It was only 1F this morning and its amazing how quickly our little dog can get out to do his business and back into the warm house. Makes me thankful we have indoor plumbing. lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have been lucky so far this winter season. The snowstorms have missed us. Only about a foot of snow so far! Your new tea sounds yummy! Thankyou for the sweet comment on my post! Stay warm!
    ...Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tea and shortbread is always a good thing. The tea is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a truly thoughtful and delightful gift Cynthia gave you. How sweet - and it sounds amazing - two of the best flavors, yum yum - and let's face it: Scottish Shortbread cookies are the best tea cookie in the world.

    Sure wish I was sippin with you. I may need to make shortbread right now. I am invited to a neighbor's for tea and a sweet tomorrow and perhaps it would be a nice little favor wrapped up in cellophane and tied with a ribbon. I think I just decided.

    Thanks for the inspiration, friend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!