Friday, January 20, 2017

"Tea for three at three"

I am making it a point to check the Library of Congress website periodically to be sure I don't miss any new additions to their collection of tea-related photos. This week, I came across one I'd not seen before, a 1931 image titled "Tea for three at three aboard the Detroit Mackinac Chicago boat." Now I wish the photographer hadn't chopped the shoes off the lady at far left, but I sure enjoyed seeing all these great clothes as well as the shoes on ladies number two and three.

When I see a vintage photo like this, I am always tempted to make up a story to go along with it. Who were these ladies, and why were they taking tea together on this boat? And who is the little boy standing behind the woman seated at right? Her son? Her nephew? Her charge?

And more important, what brand of tea were they sipping? I love seeing vintage photos of women together, and I hope you do as well!

8 comments:

  1. I really like those shoes! With my skinny ankles I need a strap across the top to hold my foot in the shoe- these would be perfect!
    Shari, Columbus, GA

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fascinating picture, I wish we could find the answers to your questions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun post, Angela! I'm wondering if these ladies were on their way to Mackinac Island from Detroit or Chicago or returning home. Either way, they were tea lovers! Love the pic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wouldn't be her charge - HE would be sitting and SHE would be standing. LOL.

    Have you ever been to Macinaw Island where the Grand Hotel sits? It is a MUST DO - it has to be on every lady's bucket list!

    LOVE your old pic finds - keep em coming, great joy to see the bygone era, lest we forget the days when ladies didn't wear yoga pants to church services. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love seeing the vintage pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely outfits especially the shoes. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you don't already do so, you may enjoy entering the search term "tea" in the search box of the Getty Museum Collection website. It brings up wonderful images. I'll try to paste the link here:
    http://www.getty.edu/art/collection/search/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh do write a story about the picture. How fun that would be. I love seeing these vintage photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!