Tuesday, July 31, 2012

An English tea and biscuit set

Almost a year ago, I was in Fairhope, Ala. and found a delightful new style of cup and saucer I learned is called a "tea and biscuit set." It was the first time I'd seen this type of teaware which featured a small oval plate and matching cup, slightly larger than a normal cup and saucer but nowhere near as large as a tea and toast set. The tea and biscuit set I own is shown here, and the one in the photo above was actually a recent find for my friend Sandra's birthday, which was yesterday, so I couldn't share the photo until after I shared the gift!

This is only the second time I've come upon such a set, and I find these pieces just the right size for personal noshing. A normal tea and toast set looks a little lonely with just a cookie or two on it. This smaller size set is just right for a small teatime treat—and so very elegant!

My friend loves roses just as I do, so I thought this particular tea and biscuit set would be just right for her. It's marked Windsor Bone China, Made in England, and I trust my friend will enjoy using it as much as I enjoyed finding it!

13 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever seen a "tea and biscuit set". How pretty! You find the most amazing things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely! I have seen these referred to as "Tennis Sets" also. I wonder if there is a difference. U.S.A. vs. England perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful, and the cup is in such a unique shape. I'll have to start looking out for these; my mother enjoys a little something with her afternoon tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! I have never seen any of those sets but I'll be watching out for them now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very pretty, I have a set that I found at a yard sale, but didn't know they were called a "tea and biscuit set". Thanks now I know.

    Sylvia@agrandmasblessings

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! I got my two oldest girls tea cups & saucer sets for their birthdays & they absolutely love them. They will drink anything out of them! Have a lovely day~ Ivy Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a lovely set! They are indeed called Tea & Toast or Tea & Biscuit in the UK and Tennis set, Buffet set or Snack set here in the USA. I have always thought they were supremely practical. And that's a very nice one!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely gift for your girl friend! It's even more special since they are unique and not seen in great abundance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty! I don't think I have seen these when I have been out thrifting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these sets, and have never seen the rounded one like this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pretty set! I love the colors,
    Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!