Monday, January 11, 2010

Chai Cakes and a 42-cent pan



Kohl's is one of my favorite local stores, and even more so since I got $20 in "Kohl's Cash" just for doing some last-minute Christmas shopping there. I'd heard a friend talk about shopping there to earn the free "cash," but I didn't truly understand the concept until I had to make a last-minute sweep for gifts and ended up spending more than $100. That's when I was handed what amounted to a gift certificate for $20 that was good starting the day after Christmas. My treat? The Calphalon Dessert Bar Pan I'd had my eye on for baking neat little squares with rounded edges. It was on sale for $20.39, so when I handed over the "Kohl's Cash" my after-tax total came to a tidy little 42 cents. That's my kind of shopping!

I am happy to report that the pan's inaugural baking trip had a delicious result. I decided to experiment with some ingredients and make chai-flavored cakes. I love the ease of using teabags to flavor baked goods, and here's my latest invention!



Chai Cakes

3/4 cup of butter, melted
1-1/2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 chai teabags


Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 12-cavity Calphalon Dessert Bar Pan with cooking spray. Mix the melted butter and sugar in a bowl. Add eggs and vanilla and blend well. Add the baking powder, baking soda, salt, flour and contents of teabags and mix well. Spoon batter evenly into pan. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan. Yields 12 cakes.

8 comments:

  1. You are one savvy shopper! And Angela those cakes look too good. They are perfect! I'll be baking sometime today if time allows. (still haven't tried the little petit four pan from William Sonoma.) Really hoping to turn out something as lovely as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Chai cakes look yummy. I'd like to have one of those pans - great buy.

    I make chocolate chai mini cakes (with the chai latte powder) in disposable pans with lids and give them as gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Kohls. They have great sales. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I'll have to add it to my "to try" pile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pans. All those small loave and cake pans are so much fun to use. The Chai Cake sounds yummy too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tea cake look yummy. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Your Blog is really interesting to read. I have enjoyed reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your new pans and what a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm lurving that cute little plate you have the cakes on. Ladies who lunch together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I may have to make some of those cakes today. I'll be making them in muffin tins though. That pan looks like a good idea; I'll have to keep my eyes open for one up in Canada.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!