Friday, August 31, 2018

"Waiting for Papa"

It seems that every time I take a few moments to check out the Library of Congress's collection of digital images, I come across something new that's tea-ish. This week, it was a chromolithograph titled "Waiting for Papa."

The description says, "Print shows a young woman and a little girl doing needlepoint at a table which has been set for tea," and a note says the piece is copyrighted by J. Stiner in 1876.

At first I thought this was a Christmas image because of the color palette, but the more I looked at it, I decided not. What do you think? (It would make a great Christmas card, though, wouldn't it!)



10 comments:

  1. I agree it would make a lovely Christmas card. We have become such a casual society that I love how dressed up they are, no yoga pants or blue jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors certainly suggest Christmas, but I agree, nothing else about it is limited to Christmas. However, it would make a very nice Christmas card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first thought was, "Meg and Amy!" It's charming, and I think you're right. Not Christmas, but definitely late fall or winter. Stitching by lamplight at the tea table. This print is right up my alley!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it would make a great Christmas card...Love the colors and perhaps she's making that needlepoint as a gift? :>)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think because of the colors of the clothing and the table cloth that it could easily pass for Christmas...and, yes, oh yes, it would make a lovely Christmas card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have five grandLittles at my house, at least three squealing all together, at what seems like all day long. Oh for the eloquence and peaceful activities that once held the attention of the young ones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that it's probably not a Christmas scene. It's quite interesting, though. My attention was drawn to the transparent teapot with the black handle--it looks very modern. The big crystal bowl is odd--it's too big for a sugar bowl, so I wonder what it's for?--from Vernona in DC

    ReplyDelete
  8. It would make a nice Christmas card for sure, but don't think it is a holiday theme. Love your finds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too thought of Christmas when I initially saw the picture. But I do not think it is. I think we naturally asociate red and green with Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!