Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Herbs in my teapots

With little luck growing herbs from seed this year, I broke down and went in search of plants last week. I had these tiny little clay teapot planters I found on clearance in Kohler, Wisconsin last year, and I was determined to use them! While last year I was able to find all different kinds of mint, I did not come upon very many healthy looking plants in my search last week. I ended up finding just two kinds of mint, labeled "Mint" and "Sweet Mint," at a local discount store, and mint is a necessity with all the iced tea we drink around here in the spring and summer. There was also some variegated lemon thyme I liked the looks of, and the grocery store had a single dill plant, so that's what I ended up with.

When I divided the plants, I put the smallest sprigs (with roots) in the teapot planters.

Next, I added some of the plants to this medium-sized McCoy planter my mom found for me last year. (May I digress and tell you a story about McCoy? In addition to the well-known pottery, McCoy is also the name of some Texas Longhorn football player and, in tribute, the name of my sister's little dog. McCoy was getting shaggy so she gave him a haircut the other day. It was such a drastic change, my 5-year-old niece asked, "Is that the real McCoy?" and didn't understand why my sister was laughing!)

In addition to the McCoy planter, I thought I could fill my largest herb planter, a treasured piece that was a gift from a girlfriend years ago. I think I need a few more plants, and I'll search for some when I go to Atlanta later this week.

Also, I must confess that I'm really a trial-and-error kind of gardener. I had some Royal Wedding Sweet Pea seeds that I wanted to start on the day of the royal wedding. And did. Only after I put them in this teacup planter did I realize I had used dry, crumbly topsoil and not potting soil. Uh oh. Might not be transplanting these flowers after all.

But I watered, and watered, and ... now I have sweet peas coming up! If you'd like to see what else is growing in the McRae garden this year, and see photos of my husband's unique new method of vegetable gardening that has drawn quite the interest from family and friends, please come back tomorrow!

11 comments:

  1. Oh what a fun post. I love your cute teapot planters. Also love your story about "the real McCoy." So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the teapot planters! And iced tea with mint is my favorite summertime drink. I need to get busy on an herb garden. Scraped ice off my windshield last week but it is pushing 90 this week in the N GA mtns! I guess it is time to plant now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I love this post! I think you got Nancy Reppert's cookbook with all the herb recipes. It is the BEST source for herb recipes as she and her sister are experts. I love these pots - teapots - they will be so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you have used tea pots as herb planters. I have been trying to figure out a new creative way to do my herbs this year and I think this is it. Thank you for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those terra cotta teapots!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you have a Lowes near you check there for herbs. The one near me had a lot of herbs 2 weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had good luck with those
    Bonnie plants. They usually have strong roots in their peat pots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Angela,
    I love your garden planters - they are so neat! I look forward to reading about your garden progress. Great photos!
    Happy gardening, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. An herb garden is always so inspiring. I find myself looking for recipes to use all of the fresh herbs that I grow and everything always has such a fresh flavor.

    I laughed out loud at the "real McCoy" story.

    Have a happy day,

    Mary Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!