Monday, May 23, 2011

Exploring the world of Cake Pops

After I paid several dollars for a single Cake Pop at a tea shop the other day, it dawned on me that I had all the supplies to begin learning how to make these fun treats myself!

For Christmas last year, my friend Ashly had given me a copy of the book "Cake Pops" by Angie Dudley, also known as "Bakerella" (who blogs at bakerella.com). It is a great how-to book, packed with step-by-step photos and instructions and lots of inspiration, too!

I first had a Cake Pop about a year ago when a friend told me I should visit a local bakery and try their "Cake on a Stick." It was soooo good, and I loved the fact it was a small treat, not as guilt-inducing as, say, a whole slice of Turtle Cheesecake. Then at Bible study one night, a friend showed up with "Cake Balls," which consisted of a crumbled up cake-mix cake mixed with 3/4 can of frosting, then dipped in icing. So here I have crumbled up my cake and am mixing it with frosting from a can. Super easy!

Here are the rolled-up balls of dough about to go in the freezer to firm up before dipping.

I used pink candy melts, and after dipping the balls into the candy coating, I placed the newly-made Cake Pops on a Styrofoam base to set.

Here is my first ever batch of Cake Pops (so please be kind!), drizzled with white icing.

And I didn't really have the proper supplies to do a great job on these, but surely I can practice until I learn to make cute Teapot Cake Pops! I flattened a red jelly candy and rolled up pieces of it for the handle, spout and knob, but surely there are better options. Licorice? Lifesavers, maybe? I'll be trying these again one day!

Do you eat or make Cake Pops? If so, please feel free to share your tips!

13 comments:

  1. Oh your teapot cake pops are so cute! I have never had a cake pop but I see that they are very popular these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cake pops are really cute (love the pink and white). I just made a batch of lollipops for a birthday party - wish I had seen your post first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so neat. I purchased a book from JoAnn Fabrics published by Wilton yesterday all about these pops. They are so cute. Love the teapots !!! I am inspired !!!My neice's Confirmation Party is in June . I will make a trial batch see how they come out and bring some there. The stryofoam great idea !!! Thanks Again

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this idea!!! I may try something like this for my niece's wedding shower in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard a lot about Cake Pops recently. Yours are cute, especially the teapot pops!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the cake pops are cute but the teapot ones are beyond adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to make cakepops...It takes a bit to perfect the technique but so worth it! A great tip to thin the candy is to use paramount crystals..it coats so nice that way..so smooth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! I have never made them but I always wanted to try. It is on my list. Now I can take lessons from you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! The teapot is excellent! I haven't had one, but they're the rage at Starbucks. They're listed as a "100 calorie" treat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cake pops look great. I always thought they were very hard to make, but you have shown how easy they are. I may have to try them sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Angela, your teapot cake pops are adorable!! Love em. tammyp

    ReplyDelete
  12. Superb first time, Angela! And I can share in your efforts because my first attempt was at the cheesecake version and no they didn't look like the book but they tasted amazing and were a instant hit with the ladies!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!