Saturday, March 26, 2011

Tea Sandwich Saturday #13 - Smoked Salmon & Asparagus Pinwheels

An old copy of Canadian Living magazine shared by my friend Maureen was the inspiration for this week's tea sandwich, Smoked Salmon & Asparagus Pinwheels. The magazine had featured a great article on different ways to make tea sandwiches, and the shape and substance of these greatly appealed to me!

First, you'll need an unsliced loaf of bread. I bought the Original Recipe English Muffin Bread from Publix, a variety I've never noticed before. It sliced beautifully, and I was then able to flatten the long bread slice with a rolling pin.

Next, I spread a layer of a cream cheese/mayonnaise mixture.

Thin-sliced smoked salmon was layered on top of the cream cheese, along with a single asparagus spear at far right.

It all rolled up nice and easy!

To make sure the pinwheels held together, I tightly wrapped the roll-up in waxed paper, twisted the ends, and let it sit in the refrigerator for several hours while I was at work.

That evening, I came home and was quickly and easily able to slice up the pinwheel sandwiches, which are just incredibly easy and delicious. I love that this can be a "make ahead" sandwich for teatime. Perfect!

Now here's the recipe. Enjoy!

Smoked Salmon & Asparagus Pinwheels

4 ounces light cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
3 horizontal slices sandwich loaf
6 ounces smoked salmon
3 cooked asparagus spears

(See directions above.) Yields 24 sandwiches.

10 comments:

Frivolitea said...

Oh my goodness, Angela. You are a font of ideas! Those pinwheels look delicious.

Linda J. said...

Another great sandwich recipe!!

Marilyn said...

Looks so easy, tasty, and pretty! Great idea-hope I remember it! ♥♫

parTea lady said...

That smoked salmon & asparagus sandwich sounds yummy and looks pretty too.

The Publix English Muffin bread is one of my favorites - it's great toasted.

Jenny said...

I love this! I'm filing away your great ideas for my next tea.

Ginger said...

Yum! These look great.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Angela, these sandwiches look delicious! You have come up with another great recipe - I am going to try this. Thanks for sharing & have a great weekend,
Joanie

Heirlooms by Ashton House said...

Oh, yum! This looks good. I must give these a try.

Marilyn said...

This really sounds good. It seems unsliced bread is sometimes difficult to find around here. I will have to look again.

Deberah Williams said...

Love it! Except for the salmon, of course. I wish I liked fish. I will try this with smoked turkey. I love that you roll out the long slice of bread. Great idea and tip!