Friday, June 20, 2008

Tea table book: "The Book of Tea"


Now here's a book that has been on my Wish List for a longggg time. I started to say it was a high-end "coffee table book," but that just wouldn't be right, would it? So we'll just say it's a nice "tea table book." At any rate, "The Book of Tea" from Flammarion was $60 when I first came across a copy at a bookstore some years ago, and I just knew I'd find it on sale one day. And I did. A few weeks ago, I was looking for tea books on eBay and came across this one for 99 cents. It's quite a large book (9-3/4 x 12-1/2 inches), and I am so enjoying reading through it and looking at all the amazing photography.

Chapters in the book are titled Tea Gardens, Tea Barons, Time for Tea and The Taste of Tea. This spread is from the chapter on tea gardens. The photo at right shows the inside of a factory in India. There are lots of photos showing the growing, plucking and production of tea. I've seen such photos before, but rarely are they as beautiful as they are presented here.


I really like the book's historic photos, including this one of ladies at tea time in New England circa 1900. There are also lots of images of tea-themed art through the ages, and it is so lovely to have this much "tea beauty" in one volume. If you're looking for a copy, Alain Stella wrote the first chapter but often seems to be listed as the author of this book. Anthony Burgess wrote the preface, so you might try searching with his name as well. This is definitely one of my favorite tea books of the year!

8 comments:

  1. What a find! You did better than I did! I found my copy for $9.99 at a remaindered book store. Isn't it a great book?
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Nice book for your tea table! (much bettter than saying coffee table *smile*)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a nice book and what a bargain! I've been looking and all the copies I see are so much more expensive. I did come across another tea book that I hadn't seen before - Tales Of A Tea Leaf: The Complete Guide To Tea Cuisine by Jill Yates. Guess I should check ebay more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BARGAIN, Angela! Congratulations. This book has been on *my* wish list forever, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, a "tea table" book is much better! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book is in my tea library too! Can't remember what I paid, but I am sure it was not much. happy reading to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice book.
    Have you ever tried PG tips ? It's a wonderful tea that I get from Cost Plus Imports. It is a black tea that is also an english tea. I've been drinking it for the last few years. It also makes a great iced tea.

    Ciao
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glenda, I like PG Tips too (it seems to make a nice, robust cup every time, doesn't it?), but you've reminded me I need to try some iced!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!